1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

High school baseball:Japanese team scores 66 runs in under 2 innings

Discussion in 'Sports Programming and Events' started by Steve615, Apr 17, 2008.

1. Steve615

Steve615 Hall Of Fame

Feb 5, 2006
    Middle TN area
  2. DCSholtis

DCSholtis Up The Irons!

Aug 7, 2002
    What?!! No 10 run rule?!:D

3. Mustang Dave

Mustang Dave Legend

Oct 13, 2006
    The losing team must have been a school for the blind. :icon_cool

4. Steve615

Steve615 Hall Of Fame

Feb 5, 2006
    Middle TN area
    :lol: :lol: :D

5. Lord Vader

Lord Vader Supreme Member DBSTalk Club

Sep 20, 2004
    Galactic Empire

I don't do high school--I work NCAA only--but I do know that the 10-run rule doesn't take effect until regulation, which is 5 complete innings or 4 1/2 if the home team's the one ahead.

6. RobertE

RobertE New Member

Jun 9, 2006
    I'm not sure what is sadder.

A) The team that sucked so bad that they allowed that many runs.
    or
    B) The team doing all the butt kicking continuing to do so.

It's a tough one, but I'm leaning towards B. Their's no class in wiping out the other team 66-0.

7. DCSholtis

DCSholtis Up The Irons!

Aug 7, 2002
    True but this was Japanese HS teams. True Hari Kari (sp?) stuff we're talking here. :D

From that article:

So the other team gets credit for a 9-0 forfeit. They're hardcore over there....SHEESH! Next time try mixing in a reliever.......or 5 coach sounds like your team could use them.

8. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    I'm trying to understand what "in under 2 innings" means. Wouldn't "under 2 innings" be 1 inning?

I know they like to talk about the top/bottom of an inning... but since you can only score in baseball when you are at bat... either they got 66 runs in 1 inning or in 2 innings. Not sure how they can be "under 2 innings".

If it is because they called the game... I'd still have to say they took 2 innings to get to 66 runs, since they didn't get it all in the 1st.

9. Lord Vader

Lord Vader Supreme Member DBSTalk Club

Sep 20, 2004
    Galactic Empire
    Under 2 innings would mean 1 1/2 innings, or anything short of 12 total outs.

This board needs a separate "Ask the Ump" type of section to discuss all things related to baseball and its intricate rules and all. :D

10. saltrek

saltrek Godfather

Oct 22, 2005
    The article stated that there was one out in the 2nd inning, so that would be 1 1/3innings pitched for that poor guy.

11. reds1963

reds1963 Godfather

Aug 28, 2007
    Columbus,Ohio
    coach must be related to NE pats coaches..hehehe

12. Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich Lifetime Achiever

Nov 15, 2005
    Honestly...

It is a shame they let that happen.

There is one thing about kids learning about defeat... and being defeated soundly. This is just down right embarrising for the kids.

Back when I played Little League ball... our team was significantly dominant.
    We went undefeated for the year... and several of those games were "trimmed" after 4 innings.... and many of the innings... were trimmed also.. (either officially by the umps, or un-officially by our coache)... after we had scored a lot of runs... I remember one game, where I batted 3 times in one inning.

So while this 66 runs in 2 innings may be a "record"...
    It is a record that is meanningless simply because in most leagues and situations... it isn't allowed in the faith of good sportsmanship... to get to that point.

13. DCSholtis

DCSholtis Up The Irons!

Aug 7, 2002
    Unfortunately in Japan it might be accepted just to "toughen" up the kids.