1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

History announces new programming

Discussion in 'TV Show Talk' started by mreposter, May 13, 2009.

1. mreposter

mreposter Hall Of Fame

Jul 29, 2006
    from The Hollywood Reporter :

Among the network's new series is the 12-part "America, The Story of Us," a look at keystone moments in the forging of the United States, produced by Nutopia, the new production company of former Discovery Channel president Jane Root. Another new show, "Pawning History," from Leftfield Pictures, is a 13-episode docusoap set in a family-owned Las Vegas pawn shop. Also ordered, "Madhouse" (working title), a docusoap set at a North Carolina racetrack, produced by Triage Entertainment.

I've spent my whole life searching for a docusoap. Every night I endlessly scan through channel after channel, muttering to myself, "if only someone would create a docusoap." Let the world rejoice! ;)

2. Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    I love docusoap. It's like a bar of #200 grit sandpaper. Every day, after
    showering with docusoap, my skin feels so fresh and clean and raw! :p.

3. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    Not that I'd watch this stuff, but I puzzled if a "docusoap" is really an accepted genre or sub-genre. Then I found this at Wikipedia:
    So if it is in Wkipedia it must be a generally accepted art form.:rolleyes:;)

4. Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    Not necessarily -- IMO, use of the phrase "generally accepted" is a bit of a stretch.

I would consider viewing a 'docudrama', but not a 'docusoap'. In this day and age,
    it's way past time to drop the anachronistic "soap-opera" references anyway.

5. mreposter

mreposter Hall Of Fame

Jul 29, 2006
    Reality shows that are set within real life environments would fit neatly within the "docusoap" category. So something like Cops might be considered a docusoap, but Survivor would not. The UK has a long history of shows like this, there's one set in an airport that's pretty crazy and others.

As to the use of the word "art" to describe these shows... um, no. ;)

6. Surveyor40

Surveyor40 DBSTalk Club Member

Jan 5, 2006
    Docusoap or not, I'll probably watch " America: the Story of US".