HMC PC Playback build 4011 - Issues / Discussion

Discussion in 'DIRECTV - HMC PC Playback Discussion (private)' started by Stuart Sweet, Apr 18, 2008.

Able to download and install client?

1. Yes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Yes, downloaded ok, install failed

14 vote(s)
    100.0%
  3. Was not able to download

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. N/A, just looking

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    HMC PC Playback Client build 4011:
    ftp://dtvuser:urt46kd7@clu-ftp.gocyberlink.com
    For this build, the we need to have an activation key and the PC must be connected to internet while installing the software in order to properly activate. More activation keys are available this week, but please don't overdo it. Thanks.

Please use the following key: DT411351575H8192 (again one for each of us)

The Contents of the Release:
    • Items in Build 3920
    • Items in Build 3926
    • Items in Build 4011
    Issues fixed on client:
    • 3920 - new recording or recorded deleted are updated on Client
    • 3920 - relative time in trickplay while program is recording
    • 3920 - Option to verify client build number (Help option, Title)
    • 3920 - Downloaded VOD playback!
    • 3920 - Showcase playback
    • 3920 - Recording ICON polish
    • 3920 - Trick play bar duration info polish
    • 3926 - user in full video playback should not see mouse cursor
    • 3926 - selection options display by number not feature (Language , DD)
    • 3926 - Play list groups display HD icon while on server no HD icon appear for any groups
    • 3926 - Manually recorded shows in group folder are not listed correctly (not aligned)
    • 4011 - Audio lost after “Adv” or “”replay” for recorded ATSC HD program playback
    • 4011 - Replay should no longer crash application
    • 4011 - Fix parental control related issues
    • 4011 - Playback freeze or jitter while rewinding to the begining of recording program
    • 4011 - OSD related fixes
    • 4011 - Trick plays no longer cause temporary video frame freeze
    • 4011 - On Demand related fixes
    • 4011 - Playlist selection arrows no longer disappear after one click
    • 4011 - Polish on labels and command descriptions
    • 4011 - Fixed Parental Control OSD issues
    • 4011 - Clicking down button on more info page will go back to list page not playbackscreen

Not sure if still present : Known defects: During stress trickmodes issues, the application crashes and both the PC and HD DVR have to be rebooted. Only during high stress trickmodes though.

2. tfederov

tfederov Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2005
    Downloaded and installed with zero issues. Can't wait to start playing tomorrow!

3. PoitNarf

PoitNarf New Member

Aug 19, 2006
    Installed successfully, the client still hangs when starting and quitting just as with previous builds. Yesterday I noticed with the previous build that it is now hanging Vista for 30 seconds instead of the around 15-18 seconds I had noticed previously. This new build hangs for 30 seconds now as well. I am still unable to ascertain exactly what is causing this and why I seem to be the only one with this issue...

Edit: On a whim I decided to check what happens if I just terminate the DirecTV.exe process instead of closing it from within the application itself. Terminating the process does not cause Vista to hang at all. I'm leaning towards something like the application requires a windows service running that I may have set to manual or disabled and it either hangs while trying to start the service or hangs because the service is not currently running.

4. Michael D'Angelo

Michael D'Angelo Lifetime Achiever

Oct 20, 2006
    Installed, the first time I tried to copy the file to my desktop to install when it got to 5 seconds left I got the time out message and had to do it again. I have had this problem before on other updates. But the 2nd time it worked fine.

5. Michael D'Angelo

Oct 20, 2006
    Hopefully when we receive the update on the HR20's my problem is fixed. Every program I just tried to play on my new PC as soon as it started it stops and I got an "Unknown Error" message.

6. PoitNarf

PoitNarf New Member

Aug 19, 2006
    Attempted to play Smallville recorded off of MPEG4 WPIX. I was testing to see if having both of my displays disabled still causes issues. Upon trying to play the episode the application froze and the entire application window turned solid white. DirecTV.exe process is at 0% CPU and 90,948K memory usage. Had to end the process from task manager to get the application to close. This is with the 0x121D HR20 build... I will refrain from further testing until the new HR20 build is pushed.

7. Michael D'Angelo

Oct 20, 2006
    So can we only do one PC or can we do two? I am a little confused by this.....

8. Michael D'Angelo

Oct 20, 2006
    I did receive the update on my HR20's and still having the same problem on my new desktop.

I have not loaded the software on my laptop yet to see if I would have the same problem on there because I am waiting for the ok if we are allowed to use two PC's but I have never had that problem using my laptop before on any other update.

9. dettxw

dettxw MRVing

Nov 21, 2007
    Choctaw, OK
    PC client downloaded and installed no problem on the desktop.

Can't say for sure about the HR20, have house guests in there where the test unit is located (kiddos back from their honeymoon, but new house in Bixby doesn't close until Thursday).

But OTA 34-1 KOCB mpg2 Smallville 7-16 Descent is playing perfectly on the desktop with none of the usual pausing problems (HR20 connected via wireless n). Also surfing, emailing, downloading stuff and everything is playing nice so far.

edit:
    Everything was playing beautifully until the server disconnected, that problem is still here. Server seemed to come back, got the playlist again, but lost internet on desktop so had to reboot it.

10. Michael D'Angelo

Oct 20, 2006
    Update: I was able to get it working by disabling my 2nd monitor. That is the only way it will work and I don't get the "Unknown Error" message.

11. RAD

RAD Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...
    When the install on my desktop finished I started the client but it would not find the HR20. Stopped the client and tried it again, same problem. I stopped the client but noticed in Taskmanager that directtv.exe was still there with over 100,000K mem usage so I decided to reboot. When the system was trying to shut down it complained about a number of different tasks that wouldn't stop, when it finally stopped those notices the system would still not shut down, had to hit the power button, upon reboot it found the HR20 and the client would shutdown cleanly.

12. Doug Brott

Doug Brott Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    I used Trend Micro Internet Security and today I received the following warning when starting the DIRECTV app. I have not seen this in the previous versions.

[​IMG]

A little bit of digging and playing with options resulted in the following solution:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

At a minimum, any installation instructions of the DIRECTV app should probably mention that security programs may block functionality of this application. Perhaps it did as I blew through the install, though. After making the changes, I'm able to start the application without the DLL being blocked.

Attached Files:

13. tfederov

Nov 18, 2005
    Doug, I got firewall warnings from Vista and Windows Live One Care. I'm wondering if what you have there is the same as what I had only explained differently. If I knew for sure that I could uninstall and reinstall my app with no issues I would to see what the message was again.

14. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    Well to be honest with y'all I'm not sure. Hopefully we can get some more clarification on this.

15. Doug Brott

Doug Brott Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    You'll have to ask Tom and Earl about that. You may want to send them a PM. If I knew the answer I'd let you know.

You may also want to check the logs for your firewall to see if you can see what may have happened.

16. phat78boy

phat78boy Hall Of Fame

Sep 12, 2007
    Unfortunately, this has been an issue from the start. Hope they will eventually add support for dual monitor setups.

17. tfederov

Nov 18, 2005
    I'm not sure if I need to re-install or not now that I'm looking at the log. I looked at my firewall rules and I'm allowing two programs from DIRECTV (DirecTV DMS and DIRECTV DMS, not sure of the difference). Both versions are 5.0.0.2727. The rule is allowing them to connect to any computer including those on the Internet.

18. dettxw

dettxw MRVing

Nov 21, 2007
    Choctaw, OK
    Did indeed get the new HR20 download last night at around 2:30am.

PC install on the laptop went well too. However, the mpg2 playback issue is present when playing back the Smallville recording from the quoted post. Still have regular pauses for no apparent reason, have plenty of CPU and bandwidth available according to the Performance Monitor. Is the PC buffer just a bit too small?

edit: After a few minutes of playing the pausing video the server disconnected, had to reboot the laptop and HR20. So it happens on both laptop and desktop.

19. mhayes70

mhayes70 New Member

Mar 21, 2006
    I will download and install when I get back on Monday. So, don't use up all the activation keys guys. :p

20. RAD

RAD Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...
    I was testing with some SD content on my laptop (can't do HD due to only a 1.6Ghz processor) and that was fine. However when I shut down the PC client I could nolonger surf with MS/IE or send/receive e-mail with Outlook Express on XP Media Center with SP2 software. I was able to ping hosts internal and external to my net and traceroute also worked. I tried a release/renew on the adapter but that didn't help, finally rebooted and all OK again.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.