1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HOA and painting dish

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by Jnipz, Oct 4, 2010.

1. Oct 4, 2010 #1 of 77
    Jnipz

Jnipz Cool Member

Jul 21, 2010
    My dish is located below a 6ft wall not visible from the street and the HOA wants me to paint the dish. My understanding is that this will cause signal loss and is not recommended. Am I not protected by the Telecommunications Act of 1996? What are your thoughts?

2. Oct 4, 2010 #2 of 77
    BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    Yes, you are protected, but by the federal OTARD (Over-The-Air Reception Device) law. Tell them to pound sand.

3. Oct 4, 2010 #3 of 77
    matt

matt New Member

Jan 11, 2010
    Paint it pink.

Really though, don't paint it. Stand your ground.

4. Oct 4, 2010 #4 of 77
    texasbrit

texasbrit Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2006
    The FCC rules make it clear that a requirement by the HOA for you to paint the dish is OK. To quote the OTARD regulations "A requirement to paint an antenna so that it blends into the background against which it is mounted would likely be acceptable, provided it will not interfere with reception or impose unreasonable costs. "
    Painting the dish with non-metallic paint will not affect signal strength.

5. Oct 5, 2010 #5 of 77
    Jnipz

Jnipz Cool Member

Jul 21, 2010
    Just spoke with someone over at Directv and was told that it is not recommended as it will cause problems with signal strength and if I do they would charge to have the dish replaced.

6. Oct 5, 2010 #6 of 77
    matt

matt New Member

Jan 11, 2010
    Sound like it would "interfere with reception" then cause an "unreasonable cost."

Keep fighting, don't let those (IMO) stupid HOAs push you around.

7. Oct 5, 2010 #7 of 77
    JosephB

JosephB Icon

Nov 14, 2005
    Birmingham, AL
    Just get someone at DirecTV to put that in writing

8. Oct 5, 2010 #8 of 77
    Jnipz

Jnipz Cool Member

Jul 21, 2010
    What gets me is the fact that they trespassed and looked over my wall as it cannot be seen from the street.

9. Oct 5, 2010 #9 of 77
    E91

E91 Godfather

Oct 7, 2008
    I have a townhouse with balconies. Technically, the HOA owns the balconies but I have a permenant easement for their use. That is how they regulate what happens on the balconies.

10. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    Pound sounds is what they need to do. Ask them how they even know you have a dish? and if no one can see it, then how do they know?

And if they say they climbed your wall to look over or something, say you are going to get a restraining order to keep them from invading your privacy. I know, I doubt you could, but it might make them think for a second.

11. ffemtreed

ffemtreed Icon

Jan 30, 2008
    As long as you have exclusive use of those balconies you are still covered by OTARD. It doesn't matter who owns them.

12. TDK1044

TDK1044 Godfather

Apr 8, 2010
    The fact that your dish is 'located below a 6ft wall not visible from the street' means that you can politely tell the HOA to go away. They would lose in court anyway by trying to force you to paint the dish, if you could provide an e-mail from DirecTV stating that signal loss would occur, but the fact that the dish cannot be seen from the street gives them no case at all. :)

13. JosephB

JosephB Icon

Nov 14, 2005
    Birmingham, AL
    On the 'trespass' question, I'd read my covenants closely if I were you. In my neighborhood the covenants give them the right to come onto the property to inspect to enforce the regulations.

14. davring

davring Hall Of Fame

Jan 13, 2007
    Rather than go through all the headaches, let them paint it. Like Texasbrit said earlier, it will not affect its performance. Don't paint the LNB, and do not use metallic paint.

15. ffemtreed

ffemtreed Icon

Jan 30, 2008
    This kind of thinking is why our country is in the crapper right now. People just do as the Govt says and not question a thing.

No way should you have to paint a dish and void your warranty and possibly lose signal strength just because some old bat in the HOA doesn't like dishes (or more likely the HOA has a backdoor deal with the cable company)

16. texasbrit

texasbrit Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2006
    I'm just telling you what the rules say, so don't shoot the messenger. I don't think there should be a need to paint the dish either, but under the FCC OTARD rules the HOA has the right to do this, however unreasonable you think this is. There were several threads about painting the dish a couple of years ago and whatever someone at DirecTV told you, provided you only paint the dish (with non-metallic matt paint) and not the LNB (!) it will have NO effect on the signal strength. And it certainly does not void any warranty.
    Some people deliberately repaint their dish in their favorite team's colors.

17. lwilli201

lwilli201 Hall Of Fame

Dec 22, 2006
    Missouri
    I do not know why the sat companies are not more proactive in helping folks with their HOA problems. Seems like a well written letter from the legal department to the HOA explaining the law and that they will support the home owner in the matter would solve many problems. I doubt there are many HOA's that can afford to go head to head with the legal departments of Directv or Dish.

18. ffemtreed

ffemtreed Icon

Jan 30, 2008
    Did you read this post??

If the Dish provider tells you that it will cause problems and they won't replace it then you as the customer have no CHOICE but to listen to them.

19. raoul5788

raoul5788 Guest

May 13, 2006
    Not necessarily. If the dish extends out over a common area, even if the balcony use is exclusive, you aren't covered by OTARD.

20. JeffBowser

JeffBowser blah blah blah

Dec 21, 2006
    Has anyone here noticed that these dishes come painted already? Another layer of non-metallic isn't going to hurt. If all it takes is 30 seconds with a $4 can of Rustoleum to make the HOA thugs happy, it would fall under the category of being a good neighbor, and not wasting too much of your own valuable time arguing with idiots.