Home Audio monopoly? Almost.

Discussion in 'Tech Talk - Gadgets, Gizmos and Technology' started by dmspen, May 16, 2019.

1. dmspen

dmspen Hall Of Fame

Dec 1, 2006
    Los Gatos,...
    I'm sure many of us have home theater components. It's always a tough choice deciding which Audio Visual Receiver to get. Not a problem anymore! Sound United (who?) is trying to buy Onkyo. What does this mean?

If the deal goes through, that brings Onkyo, Integra, Pioneer and Pioneer Elite brands under the same roof as Denon, Polk Audio, Marantz, Definitive technology, HEOS, Classé and Boston Acoustics.

Almost a monopoly of 'standard level' home audio equipment.

Sound United Enters Agreement to Acquire Onkyo Home Audio - AVSForum.com

2. MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    Not quite. There's still Anthem Arcam, Cambridge Audio, NAD, Sony and Yamaha.

3. scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Kansas City KS
    I have a Yamaha A/V receiver and Boston Acoustics Speakers for it. I bought the Yamaha when the Pioneer A/V receiver disappeared on my move to KC.

4. Eva

Eva Active Member

Nov 8, 2013
    I remember the old days when you had walls of components in the various stores. Last time I was in a Best Buy the "Wall" only had like 5 receivers and nothing much there. There was a sign indicating they were expanding their phones into that area. :(

5. Wolfmanjohn

Wolfmanjohn Cool Member

Aug 8, 2002
    Chico, CA
    Boston Acoustics is no more, thanks to Sound United and their acquisition of DM Holdings. Thanks for nothing, Sound United.

6. Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz Day Sleeper

Mar 23, 2002
    Richardson,...
    Sigh.... here I was, looking forward to assembling my home theater in about a year or three, and now this happens.

7. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    This won’t stop you from building a home theater. You may just have to look a few other places or so. But so many have been very similar all along.

8. Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz Day Sleeper

Mar 23, 2002
    Richardson,...
    We'll see what happens. I have wanted a home theater for over a decade already, and my recent move to Texas has changed it from "when my mother dies" to "I'm planning a room for it". I want a 7.1 system, but right now, the money isn't there for it, and there are some renovations that have a higher priority. So, it's a few years off already. My fear is that, with the consolidation until a single company, innovation from competition draws to a standstill.

9. inkahauts

Nov 13, 2006
    Every time I turn around they have larger setups. What’s the atoms now? 12 speakers and subs or something like that. They’ll never stop innovating beyond what you can put in a normal home.

10. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    My son has been using a setup that is 9 speakers and a sub ( could be 2 subs but totally unnecessary ). It is a Yamaha AVR and uses NHT speakers and a Velodyne SPL 1200 sub with 2,000 watts of power. He rattles stuff on the den walls from the other end of the house.

11. inkahauts

Nov 13, 2006
    I like his sub. I have one of those plus a energy microstar and they barely have to work to produce incredible sound. The nice part about truly powerful subs. They don’t sound like subs when setup right. :)

Side note... I can tell you two subs is absolutely better than one for pretty much any and every system. As long as it’s the same sub feed and not different. Then it’s more difficult to say. But two subs actually allow you to have bass evenly through a room where as unless the room is perfect is nearly impossible with one sub.

The real key is proper setup for the individual room. And that’s for all speakers.

Eva likes this.
  12. Eva

Eva Active Member

Nov 8, 2013
    Nothing like watching a movie on a good home theatre system. Like being there. My hubby is an IT person and has told me he got a friend who has no TV and only uses a phone leaning on a can or something to watch a movie and we know phones sound crappy for other then chatting.

13. billsharpe

billsharpe Hall Of Fame

Jan 25, 2007
    Southern...
    I'm certainly not a fan of watching movies on phone screens. Using ear buds or headphones, though, makes the sound much better than the tiny phone speakers. Great for listening to music privately.

14. Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz Day Sleeper

Mar 23, 2002
    Richardson,...
    Watching movies on a mobile phone or tablet is da'bomb when you are flying halfway across country or viewing in bed, especially with a good set of Bluetooth headsets. But, yeah, a build-out home theater system would be nice.

15. billsharpe

billsharpe Hall Of Fame

Jan 25, 2007
    Southern...
    The only time I watch TV in bed is in a hotel room on a big screen. Even then, I prefer watching from a chair if one is available. I read or listen to music on my iPhone or iPad when traveling by air. I started watching a movie once on a flight and gave up quickly and decided to wait and watch it on my HDTV at home instead.