1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Home electric billing rates

Discussion in 'The OT' started by Steve615, Dec 30, 2008.

Tags:
  1. Steve615

Steve615 Hall Of Fame

Feb 5, 2006
    Middle TN area
    Our monthly home electric bill had hovered right around $100 for over the past 12-18 months.
    But,when we received our bill for Dec. '08,it had jumped up to $298. :eek: :nono2:
    Several folks (friends/family) that we know in the middle TN area have experienced the same sudden "spike" in the electric rates.
    I was wondering if this is just a middle TN area thing,or if folks around the country are seeing the same "double and triple dipping" in regards to their monthly electric bills. :scratch:

2. Greg Alsobrook

Greg Alsobrook Lifetime Achiever

Apr 1, 2007
  3. Sirshagg

Sirshagg Hall Of Fame

Dec 29, 2006
    Daaaamn!
    That's one heck of an increase.

4. LarryFlowers

LarryFlowers New Member

Sep 22, 2006
    Did your KW consumed dramatically increase?

5. tcusta00

tcusta00 Active Member

Dec 31, 2007
    Do you still have manual meter readings? Could be human error.

6. Steve

Steve Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2006
    Lower...
    My Con Edison rate for electric on my November bill was $.06 per kWh (actually $.057658). I was surprised to read in another thread that my rates in the greater New York city area might be lower than someone else's in Utah, e.g.

What's the current rate in Tennessee and other parts of the country? /steve

7. RAD

RAD Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...
    My brother in law lives in TN and said he got a notice about rates taking a big jump. Reason giving was because TVA generates a lot via hydro and the region has been in a drought they've needed to use more other sources which have higher costs.

As for the question have others seen a bg jump, not here. Our electric coop wouldn't dream of it, they are currently being investigated for misuse of millions of dollars of funds by the exec's and board members.

8. Steve615

Steve615 Hall Of Fame

Feb 5, 2006
    Middle TN area
    AFAIK,MTEMC ( Middle Tennessee Electric Membership Corporation ) still uses manual meter readers.
    Perhaps they hired a new crew with some pretty bad eyesight? :scratch:
    All I know is that we have pretty much "stayed the course" in regards to our use of electricity.
    But,our recent billing certainly isn't indicative of that. :lol:

9. tcusta00

tcusta00 Active Member

Dec 31, 2007
    We're at 11.8c/kWh here in MD, plus 2.755c/kWh for Distribution and flat $7.50 "Customer" charge, plus taxes. :eek2:

10. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    No big rate increases in our part of the world. Our tiers range from $0.1155 to $0.41059. The big increase happened a few years ago and was part of the reason Gov. Gray Davis was recalled.

I keep meticulous records and can tell you that in 2008 we paid $4,147.62 for electricity. For the same use based on the rates in effect when I retired in 2001, those bills would have totaled $1,113.68, a $3,033.94 or 272.4% rate increase. So much for retirement planning....

But hey, there's other cheery news like this from the LA Times:

11. RobertE

RobertE New Member

Jun 9, 2006
    11.6c/Kwh with all taxes and other BS charges included.

12. Steve

Steve Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2006
    Lower...
    Your posts made me realize I was only quoting my "supply" charge, not including delivery, taxes and other fees. My "real world" cost per kWh here in NY is actually 18c.

I haven't confirmed this, but I've been told an HR2x consumes about 25 watts in standby. Given I've got 6 of them plus an H21, AM21 and two SWM's, that's probably close to $300/year just to power my DirecTV equipment!

/steve

13. tgr131

tgr131 Legend

Apr 9, 2007
    I had a similar jump several years ago. Turns out the main portion of my heat pump had failed, and we were heating the house primarily off the auxiliary heat in the attic (which is the equivalent of running a huge hair dryer - very expensive).

David

14. roadrunner1782

roadrunner1782 Icon

Sep 27, 2008
    Your meter may also have gone bad!! I had one do this back in 2005 and found out when i got an $1136.84 electric bill!!!!!!:eek2: When the electric company came out to investigate they found out the meter had gone bad, and the guy that replaced it said he had just came from a guys house with a really bad meter that had supposedly racked up close to $3,000 and went to the house to turn the power off for excessive use he found out what had actually happened. Luckily they replaced everyone's electric meter in my town with new ones with digital read outs (they're supposed to be better than the ones we had before with the piece in the middle that spun around).

15. brant

brant Icon

Jul 6, 2008
    your bill should show the actual consumption; if not, call the power company and ask them for a copy of your usage history.

if it shows the actual reading that was on the meter when they checked it, go compare that number to what's on your meter now.

as roadrunner said, meter's can become faulty and give inaccurate readings. its rare but it can happen.

you may want to call an electrician also to do some current measurements at your house. sometimes, a circuit can short but without enough resistance to trip the circuit breaker; in that case, its just consuming power that you're not using.

another way you might test this, is turn everything off in your house and go see if the meter is turning. if it is, turn off all your circuit breakers, and go through them individually until the meter starts to turn again.

it could also be a problem with your HVAC or water heater. check next months usage and if you're still having the same problem, call an electrician out.

16. RobertE

RobertE New Member

Jun 9, 2006
    They may have done an estimated reading vs an actual reading.

17. Cholly

Cholly Old Guys Rule! DBSTalk Club

Mar 22, 2004
    Indian...
    We are customers of Union Power Cooperative (Monroe, NC). Their current rates are $12.50/month basic charge, plus 9 and a fraction cents per kwh. My son pays the bills, so I don't know what the taxes and other fees are.

18. rudeney

rudeney Hall Of Fame

May 28, 2007
    We are around $0.11/KWh here with a 12% increase coming next year. We have natural gas for hot water and central heat. We keep our house fairly cool (60's) so our gas bill i snot much of an issue - it might be $100 in the coldest months. The problem is summertime when the /C unit sucks up the electrons. My June-October power bill can top $400/mo.

19. davring

davring Hall Of Fame

Jan 13, 2007
    Those summer A/C bills can be a killer, but I love this time of year, just the ocean breeze. Winter electric bills here are about forty bucks, love it. (about .10 KWH)

20. Richard King

Richard King Hall Of Fame

Mar 25, 2002
    $0.149/kwh approx. here, just for the electric portion of the bill. The bill that I get includes water, sewer, garbage and electricity any typically is around $300/mo. :( I wonder how much keeping a computer running 24/7 costs.