1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Home Network setup question

Discussion in 'Tech Talk - Gadgets, Gizmos and Technology' started by Cholly, Aug 26, 2012.

1. Cholly

Cholly Old Guys Rule! DBSTalk Club

Mar 22, 2004
    Indian...
    I've been trying to set up a home network of three computers -- two running XP and one running Windows 7. The computers on XP are served via Wireless G by the 2 GHz radio on my Netgear router, while the computer running Windows 7 is served via Wireless N on the 5 GHz radio. To Date, I've not been able to get the Windows 7 computer to recognize the other computers, or even change Network name to agree with the other computers. I can't use the default network name on the Windows 7 computer, because it then sets up communications with my son's work computer - something neither he nor I want.
    Suggestions would be appreciated.

2. scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Youngsville NC
    To make Windows XP and Windows 7 work together - you have to setup a "WORKGROUP", not the default Homegroup that Windows 7 wants to do. This is also presuming that all your computers are on the same home network (i.e you can ping each other). You'll also have to set the firewall on all computers to allow these connections.

You'll probably also want to setup your own "Workgroup" name - such as "Chollys home"

3. Cholly

Mar 22, 2004
    Indian...
    Exactly what I've been trying to do, but so far, I've not figured out how to change the group name. I've already set up a unique group name on the computers running XP.

4. scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Youngsville NC
    My wife has Win7 Pro -
    Right click on computer, properties, Advanced System Settings, Select Computer Name Tab, put in your workgroup name.

5. Shades228

Shades228 DaBears

Mar 18, 2008
  6. Cholly

Mar 22, 2004
    Indian...
    I've managed to set all three computers to the same group name and seem to be able to share files with no problem, although I haven't tested all three.
    Interestingly, Windows explorer still has "Homegroup" listed on my Windows 7 machine, but it does also have a tab for Network, which shows all the computers on my actual work group and I can see the shared items.