1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Home Theater Seating Recommendations?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Equipment' started by phrelin, Mar 17, 2009.

1. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    As usual here in the woods, I have to go over 100 miles to test any home theater seating, while apparently I can order online just about anything I want, delivered. But buying "a pig in a poke" at this level of cost is worrysome.

What I need to know is if anyone can offer recommendations for seating that won't break down and will be comfortable for someone over 6 feet and over 230 pounds.

2. tcusta00

tcusta00 Active Member

Dec 31, 2007
    I have a nice big cushy Lane recliner that I bought a few years back at BJs.

I also like Costco's furniture. Online orders come with free delivery too (well, built-into the price).

3. Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    I ordered (imported) my HT seating from Ekornes in Oslo, Norway. Beats anything domestic by a landslide. All cushy, buttery-soft leather, super-easyglide mechanisms -- just think about reclining and it reads your mind and goes back effortlessly. Six pieces cost almost $10k, but more than worth it. I fell asleep in mine recently -- it was the first I ever slept all night in a recliner -- like sleeping on a cloud!

They are available in a wide variety of covers, colors and woods. One of my chairs is shown below.[​IMG]

Find an authorized dealer and take the comfort test. It'll change your mind about what true comfort is. www.ekornes.com. Also, check out their HT section

Attached Files:

4. spartanstew

spartanstew Dry as a bone

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    What type of seating are you looking for? What's your budget?

Berklines are usually recognized as the one of the best for HT seating. Roman over at AVS is a forum sponsor and currently has a powerbuy going on HERE. There's multiple styles/fabrics/arrangements to choose from.

If you don't want to spend that kind of money (roughly $600 per chair, depending), you should also look into COASTERS. I bought 7 of their Studio Collection seats over 4 years ago and they're still like new. They have manual recline (instead of optional push button like the Berklines), and there's not as many options (configurations) as you can get with Berkline, but they're a bit cheaper (depending on where you get them and when). I bought all 7 of mine 4 years ago for $2100 from CarolinaInteriors. It looks like they're going for about $400 per chair now, but occasionally there's powerbuys on them at AVS and if you call and are ordering more than 3 chairs, there's a good chance of a discount.

5. Cholly

Cholly Old Guys Rule! DBSTalk Club

Mar 22, 2004
    Indian...
    I bought four Berklines from Roman a while back. I'm very happy with them, and with his customer service. Delivery was curbside, so I had to haul them in - no biggie.
    www.rtheaters.com

Note: His current specials are for motorized recliners. The manual recliners are less expensive. I checked a local Berkline dealer for prices and saved a bundle by going through Roman.

6. dave29

dave29 New Member

Feb 18, 2007
    I just checked that site out, that a heck of a deal on the motorized recliners.

7. Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    Geez! Those are some of the fugliest chairs I've ever seen! Big and bulky
    and no styling whatsoever.

If those mechanisms were as easy to operate as those of the Ekornes line
    shown above, they wouldn't need to be motorized.

:rolleyes:

8. Cholly

Cholly Old Guys Rule! DBSTalk Club

Mar 22, 2004
    Indian...
    Stylish? No, but very comfy! Just the thing for home theaters, and a helluva lot less expensive than the Ekornes.
    Our Berklines aren't motorized, and are very easy to operate. The build quality is excellent, and my middle grandson and I are both 6 footers, over 230 pounds.

9. spartanstew

spartanstew Dry as a bone

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    Well, everyone has their own tastes. That chair you linked to looks like something you'd grab from Ikea (which is not good). I love the look of reclining HT chairs in a HT. Of course, they might not look good in a living room or den, but since the title of this thread was Home Theater Seating, I was assuming the OP actually had a HT.