1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Home Theater Suggestions

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Equipment' started by Brandon428, Jul 31, 2010.

1. Brandon428

Brandon428 Hall Of Fame

Mar 21, 2007
    I am currently beginning construction on my home theater and I would like to ask you all what are the must have things for a home theater?

2. Carl Spock

Carl Spock Superfly

Sep 3, 2004
    What a question! :eek2:

I get to ask the next ones:

What size of a room?
    Who's watching? (family, kids)
    What do you watch the most? (TV, DVD, games)
    Do you know how big a TV you want?
    Do you know what kind of TV you want?
    How important is the sound to you?
    Anything really special we should know about? (access, windows, furniture)

And, of course, do you have a budget?

3. Brandon428

Brandon428 Hall Of Fame

Mar 21, 2007
    The room is about 23x17 feet

Family and friends

Mainly movies thn sports and games

120"

I have a Sony VPL VW-40 projector

Sound is very important,I have a 3310ci Denon amp with 6 deftech tower speakers and one center channel. 2 of which have built in powered 10" subs.

Nothing special

I had a budget but of course I didn't stick to it,lol.

As long as it's not super expensive I can be talked into buying it.

4. hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001 Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2004
    You're off to a good start.

Good seating is a must, and beverages nearby as well.

Your room size should be fine, although even number dimensions aid in harmonics prevention better than odd numbers. Main thing is its not a square shape.

5. spartanstew

spartanstew Dry as a bone

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    staggered stud walls with extra insulation
    riser
    acoustical treatments at first reflection points.
    bass traps in the four corners at a minimum
    wire for 9.4
    separate climate zone

6. Carl Spock

Carl Spock Superfly

Sep 3, 2004
    But assuming an 8' ceiling, the three dimensions are roughly 1-2-3 multiples of each other. Standing waves worry me.

It's always impossible to prejudge these things, but I'd like to see a smaller space around the screen. It looks more dramatic and would help the sound. You could go down to 7' in height, which might not do much for standing waves but couldn't hurt. I would also shorten the stage's width. You should have a lot of flexibility here. Brandon428, what do you think of a wing off at least one side of the stage? You could build the electronics into this front false wall, and by adding a door, get back panel access. This false wall would break up bass waves.

In the back of the room, I might look toward stadium seating, with the back rows chairs on progressively higher platforms. That would go a long way to refracting standing waves.

7. Nighthawk68

Nighthawk68 Godfather

Oct 14, 2004
    Northern...
    Denon Blu-Ray Player DBP-2010ci (or the forthcoming DBP-2011ci with streaming Netflix)
    Stewart Filmscreen StudioTek 130 G3

These would go great with your setup, also make sure you run the Audyssey speaker setup once you have everything setup

8. hdtvfan0001

Jul 28, 2004
    Enjoy ours here...stadium seating is nice to have.

9. Carl Spock

Carl Spock Superfly

Sep 3, 2004
    You're undoubtably right but I can't imagine that many speakers in this small a room.

10. hdtvfan0001

Jul 28, 2004
    7.1 THX here - perfect...2450 watts of potential audio.... 1/4 power vibrates the intestines...

11. spartanstew

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    Well, you never know what's gonna happen with height channels and while I'd never go with 4 subs (dual subs are fine for me), it's nice to have alternate locations wired.

As far as stadium seating (which is what I call a riser in my earlier post), I wouldn't go with more than one step. With 17' of width, there's plenty of room to spread things out and with a 120" screen, there won't really be room for more than one row anyway (unless you put a stand up bar behind the second row with bar stools - but you'd still only need one riser)

12. hdtvfan0001

Jul 28, 2004
    My room is 24' deep, and stadium seating is ideal...the back row is 23'8" distance from my 116" screen.

As for your idea on subs...agree....pre-wiring for other locations is a good idea....you can always move them in the future if you wish without any problems that way. I had multiple locations pre-wired here.

13. spartanstew

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    How many levels do you have?

My rear row is also up against the rear wall, but if I had it to do over again, I'd put 4'-5' between the rear wall and the last row of seats for better sound separation and utilize a stand up bar instead.

14. Richard King

Richard King Hall Of Fame

Mar 25, 2002
  15. hdtvfan0001

Jul 28, 2004
    My rear row is against a 5' partial-height wall - its open to the adjoining space (billiard area) with a granite top and pillars, so sound can "escape" past the back of the theater.

I also deployed coiffured 9' ceilings in the theater, as well as 4' wide arched side walls and an 8' front section surrounding the projection screen. All walls have 2 X 6 studs with corresponding insulation.

Having read many months about the effects of stadium seating and acoustical impact of various wall and ceiling designs, I managed to eliminate the need for ANY acoustical paneling.

The ISF certified engineer who worked with me on our design and also did the multiple-level sound measurements (once construction was complete) was pleasantly surprised to see how well our "techniques" had "virtually eliminated harmonic and reflective sound patterns" in the Home Theater.

Many things can play a role in audio results - even carpeting (type and density), furniture (location and material), floor material (wood, concrete, other) and wall hangings (fixtures, etc.).

There is the final issue of sound absorption in the context of transferring to other parts of the home. Once can use staggered studs, special drywall, dense insulation, special under-drywall material fabric, and other things to negate "the whole home hearing the Home Theater".

No two Home Theaters are alike when it comes to how they handle audio. I've personally seen over 60 dedicated Home Theaters, and how they handled audio all varied as well.

My best advice - research....read...and plan everything in detail BEFORE any construction takes place. Measure twice, cut once.

16. spartanstew

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    So, you have one riser, correct? (which was my original question)

As do I. As I also recommended for the OP.

Sounded like you and Carl were advocating multiple seating levels and I think the room is too small for that.

17. Carl Spock

Carl Spock Superfly

Sep 3, 2004
    I like the clips! :)

I've used metal furring strips to positive effect in containing sound, not only in customer's houses but in my stereo store. The two car stereo rooms and the two audio rooms all had real ceilings and furring strips on the walls. On a busy Saturday we could crank up everything and still have confersations at a normal level on the main sales floor.

The OP didn't say if sound isolation is a requirement, but these should work great.

Nice call, Richard. :righton:

18. hdtvfan0001

Jul 28, 2004
    Yes....one riser for the rear row seating.

One P.S.

Since I made the back wall a "1/2" wall...and the top is a granite top with pillars on the ends...I can also take my 3 Kitchen/bar nicely padded stool seats and have folks use that as a place to sit and have beverages...adding seating for 3-4 more people.

19. spartanstew

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    Yes, having a stand up type bar at the rear is an ideal situation, IMO.

with a depth of 23', it's possible the OP could still do that if he had seating at 13' & 18'.

Similar to what they did in one of my favorite theaters:

[​IMG]

20. hdtvfan0001

Jul 28, 2004
    Very nice and yes...similar.