Home warranty companies? Anyone use them?

Discussion in 'The OT' started by dmspen, Apr 7, 2020.

1. Apr 7, 2020 #1 of 16
    dmspen

dmspen Hall Of Fame

Dec 1, 2006
    Los Gatos,...
    When we bought our home it came with a 1 year warranty with 1st American Warranty company. I kept it after the year because we had old appliances, heater and A/C.

On Feb 10, our 9 year old Kenmore Elite washing machine displayed some nice error codes. !st American sent an appliance company to fix, took over a week to get an appointment. Parts ordered - took 9 days to arrive and another week to get an appointment.
    Didn't solve the problem. More parts ordered. Another 9 days for parts and 6 days for an appointment. Problem still exists. Appliance place says it can't be fixed.
    1st American wants a second opinion so they send out Sears Appliance Repair. Another week for an appointment. Master controller is dead and no longer is made. He calls 1st American and they give him the 3rd degree about if he's qualified (He's a Sears Master Laundry tech working on a Kenmore). He tells them the part is not available. The make him check to see if the part can be refurbished! Turns out the refurb business is closed due to CV. He also tells them its not in his contract with them to refurb parts so the washer is unfixable. Evidently 1st American will call within 3 days to let us know the replacement solution. That was yesterday.
    Today is 8 weeks since the initial issue. All my webiste comments and phone calls to 1st American has fallen on deaf ears.

Long story longer... does anyone here recommend a Home Warranty service?

2. Apr 8, 2020 #2 of 16
    Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz New Texan

Mar 23, 2002
    Richardson,...
    I have one on my home. So far:
    • Several plumbing calls
    • Replaced the refrigerator because (surprise) a part wasn't available. None of the suggested models was what I wanted, so I agreed to take a check, and got the model I wanted and paid the difference.
    • Electric, but not the electric panel
    • Replaced the garage door opener. When the technician attempted to open up the old unit, it disintegrated! Replaced it with one that has WiFi and a battery backup

3. Apr 8, 2020 #3 of 16
    billsharpe

billsharpe Hall Of Fame

Jan 25, 2007
    Southern...
    I've got Sears Home Appliance service warranty on my kitchen/laundry appliances. 18-year-old range conked out a couple months ago. Sears replaced two expensive parts. Charged only a $79 appointment fee instead of what would have cost me about $600 without the warranty. Took about a week to get the parts.

4. Apr 9, 2020 #4 of 16
    dmspen

dmspen Hall Of Fame

Dec 1, 2006
    Los Gatos,...
    Who is your warranty company? I'm going to drop 1st American, I think.

5. Apr 9, 2020 #5 of 16
    SamC

SamC Hall Of Fame

Jan 20, 2003
    Memo: "Home warranties" is insurance. Insurance companies make money. At its core, insurance is an inverse form of gambling, where you have to lose (crash your car, have a fire, die, or in this case, have a washer blow its gasket) to "win". At the end of the day, most people pay far more in premiums than they collect. Basic capitalism and basic math.

Some issues here are that, in the USA, insurance is 99% regulated by the states, not the federal government, and many states are very lax, both generally, and in things like home and car warranties and the like. This can lead to several issues, including simple "bad faith" where the company simply does not pay legitimate claims, knowing that the amounts involved as so small that no lawyer can justify the time involved.

Most states have a Consumer Affairs or Consumer Advocate division in their Department of Insurance. These outfits are usually funded by a tax on premiums and represent people in just such cases, where the amounts are this sized.

6. Nick

Nick Charter Gold Club Member DBSTalk Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    I purchased a newly-built home in 2008. It came with a 2/10 home warranty - first 2 yrs paid by the builder, 10 yrs on my dime. After the 2 yrs was up I was billed $450 for yr 3, $500 for yr 4 and billed $550 for upcoming yr 5. Seeing the writing on the wall, I canceled after the 4th yr. Since then I've had to replace the a/c ($5,000) and the built-in microwave twice, ($500 each time). As SamC noted, home warranty insurance is a bet. I figure I gambled and I lost. Oh well, never was much of a gambler.
    ?? :rolleyes:??

7. Getteau

Getteau Icon

Dec 19, 2007
    Houston
    I had AHS on a couple of houses because the seller had it as part of the house listing. On both houses, I canceled it after the year was up. Canceling on the first house was a good choice. Canceling on house 2 cost me because the main A/C went out about 2 months after I canceled it. So it is a gamble. When I changed my homeowners insurance this year, the new company offered it as an option on the policy. It was $44 a year with I think a $500 deductible(I think AHS stuff was closer to a grand/yr). Since my A/C's are about to go out of their manufacturer warranty, I figured $44 was a pretty safe bet.

If you are thinking about getting one, check with your homeowners company to see if they offer it. It may be cheaper than AHS or the other ones that realtors like to use.

Rich likes this.
  8. dmspen

dmspen Hall Of Fame

Dec 1, 2006
    Los Gatos,...
    I am finally getting my new washer. A new rep took over the case and was appalled at the length of time to get everything resolved (62 days so far). The new washer SHOULD be here this week. It gets delivered to a delivery service (?) who turns around and delivers/installs to me. Bad process in my opinion. I have already decided to move on to another warranty service. I found one with good ratings, faster guaranteed service response, cheaper monthly rate, but higher deductible. Covers the same items. Each service call is $25 higher but monthly cost is $23 cheaper. The reason I keep getting a home warranty is my heater and A/C are 46 years old!

9. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Must be a story behind that? I don't doubt you but you must be doing a lot of maintenance on the A/C to keep it that long. Or are you in an area where neither the heater or the A/C are used a lot?

Rich

10. Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz New Texan

Mar 23, 2002
    Richardson,...
    The biggest problem I see with a 46yo air conditioner is the cost of the replacement refrigerant. My house is only 35 years old, but because there were two major breakdowns in the past year, plus it used the older refrigerant, my mother and I elected to replace it. The new unit works much better than the old unit, especially since they replaced all of the duct work.

11. dmspen

dmspen Hall Of Fame

Dec 1, 2006
    Los Gatos,...
    Freon is covered under my contract. The problem is access. There may be a day in the near future when my Freon levels are too low and there will be none to find. Might be time for a new A/C and Heater at that point. $$$$$

12. dmspen

dmspen Hall Of Fame

Dec 1, 2006
    Los Gatos,...
    I'm in the South SF Bay Area so medium use of both heater and A/C. We do get hot weather in summer and cold in winter, those being relative terms. It was 47 this morning. I have an open beam ceiling without insulation so I don't retain heat.

13. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    This fascinates me. 46 years and the compressor still works. Amazing.

Rich

14. dmspen

dmspen Hall Of Fame

Dec 1, 2006
    Los Gatos,...
    I do have maintenance done every year on both A/C and heater. The heater motor fan failed once, replaced. A couple years ago I thought the A/C had died. Turned out a rat had chewed through the wire insulation and two wires shorted. Easily fixed. Other than that, no problems. <breath held, fingers crossed>

15. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Is that a heat pump?

Rich

16. dmspen

dmspen Hall Of Fame

Dec 1, 2006
    Los Gatos,...
    Yes, and it's outside, but covered.

We finally got our new washer on Monday. Only took 64 days from initial failure.

Rich likes this.