1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hook Ethernet up to Whole-Home

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Connected Home' started by send2steph, Nov 3, 2011.

Tags:
  1. Nov 3, 2011 #1 of 37
    send2steph

send2steph New Member

Nov 3, 2011
    Please help me - I'm a total newb!

I live in a very rural area and for Internet access I'm using my cell phone tethered to my PC. I then share that Internet connection (as flaky and as slow as it is) across my Ethernet network using a switch.

We just had DirecTV installed (but apparently not well) with the Whole-Home DVR option with just one HR24 and then two non-DVR receivers.

I asked the installer how to hook up the receivers to my network (I have a ton of movies and recorded WMC TV files on my PC). He said that I'd need an adapter to go from coax to ethernet (or vice versa) and that I could buy it online. He also said not to plug my Ethernet into my receiver or it would mess up my whole-home DVR.

I'm confused as to what adapter I need. Could someone please point me to a specific Ebay or Amazon listing? I would appreciate it. (I just don't get it... DECA? Cinema kit? Powered? Not Powered?)

Then, I assume I'm just going to go from my Ethernet switch into the DirecTV Coax splitter, right? Then I ought to be able to see the DVR on my network, assuming I can give it an IP address.

Sorry to be such a newb... I promise to read more and start understanding this stuff - but in the meantime, my kids can only watch their old and beloved (pre-DirecTV) recorded TV on my PC until I figure out how to stream to these receivers across my network. I need them off my computer! ;)

2. Nov 3, 2011 #2 of 37
    Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
  3. Nov 3, 2011 #3 of 37
    veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    Actually I think the best deal these days is the self install Wireless CCK [cinema connection kit], straight from DirecTV, for about $30.
    You can use these in a wired configuration too.

4. Nov 3, 2011 #4 of 37
    DarkLogix

DarkLogix Godfather

Oct 20, 2011
    Seeing as how you are getting internet access via a cell phone I'd guess you don't have a wireless network as such the wired option would be cheaper in total

unless you're cell is able to act as a wifi router though that doesn't sound like the setup you have

ie to use the wireless CCK you need a wireless router (or a wireless access point)
    so the cost of a wifi router plus the wireless CCK would possibily be greater than just using the wires CCK that was linked

you'll need a Coax to where you want to put the wired CCK
    and a proper splitter

as a note many Cell co's have a data Cap so connecting over it could cause you to go over the CAP so you should look into that

5. Nov 3, 2011 #5 of 37
    veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    Please don't post about things you have yet to learn about.
    The wireless CCK has a ethernet port, as seen here:

[​IMG]

It DOESN'T need a wireless router to work.

6. Nov 3, 2011 #6 of 37
    DarkLogix

DarkLogix Godfather

Oct 20, 2011
    Ok sorry
    I wasn't aware it had a wired option in the wireless model

That certantly simplifies things

though I would still suggest that he look into if his cell provider has a data cap and possibly implement a data usage monitor if they do so that he doesn't get a very large bill

I see that you're right
    http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.as...ection-Kit-(CCKW)&c=Satellite Components&sku=
    thanks for the additional info

7. Nov 3, 2011 #7 of 37
    veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    Typing takes effort to do correctly.

Since the OP seems more interested in having the receivers be part of the home network, I'm not sure how much internet access is really important, so this would resolve the question asked and might be the cheapest solution [from DirecTV].

8. Nov 3, 2011 #8 of 37
    DarkLogix

DarkLogix Godfather

Oct 20, 2011
    Yes of course

just something to consider as he did mention his means of internet access

which implys that he might be interested in VOD which could sky rocket his usage (on this I know as I monitored my onw data while a VOD movie was downloading)

sorry for the typos its late and my back hurts

9. Nov 3, 2011 #9 of 37
    Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
  10. DarkLogix

DarkLogix Godfather

Oct 20, 2011
    the link works when pasted but for somereason it gets altered here
    if you edit your post and while editing highlight the url and paste that it works

11. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    Ok, I just read the DirecTv installation instructions for this, and according to their instructions, that ethernet port is only to connect the wireless box to the DVR if you are not using Whole Home. Shows no examples whatsoever about hooking it to a router or switch (actually says to hardwire, you need professional installation, and the non-wireless kit).

I am confused now. VOS, have you used this hardwired to a switch, and then plugged into the splitter? If so, why do you think DirecTv does not show that connection method, and actually states it wont work?

12. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    !rolling
    Being in the test group for this, we used it in ways DirecTV never thought of. :lol:

I know for a fact that it works fine in a wired configuration.

Here's the price for it once you put it in "your cart":

[​IMG]

BTW with its pass through mode, you don't need a splitter AND it also doesn't drop your SAT signals doing this either [win-win]

Attached Files:

• CCK.PNG
      CCK.PNG
      File size:
      34.2 KB
      Views:
  13. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    Ok, well, Im gonna believe you long before I believe DirecTv's website. Just one question, if you plug it into a router using wired connection, do you have to plug it into the receiver first to program the WPA2 password into it? My parents router is an older Linksys, and I dont know about how I would enter the password into the connection kit...

14. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    If you go wired, there isn't any need for a password, as that is for the wireless port, which you DON'T want to also activate, or you'll have problems with two connections to the same device. "When I did this" it locked everything up tight as a drum. :lol:

15. DarkLogix

DarkLogix Godfather

Oct 20, 2011
    I'm sure VOS will correct this but anyway

I would hope that with the wired connection using the RJ45 that it wouldn't need the wifi key

if it were connected over wifi and rj45 then I hope its smart enough to disable one of them to avoid a layer2 loop (ie in networking what STP, spanning tree protocal, is there to stop and most consumer switches don't have STP) so you'd had a layer2 loop and the switch would go insane

ie the same as plugging a cable from port 1 to port 2 on a switch

and from VOS's post it looks like I'm right and using both will make a layer2 loop (for those unfamilure with layer2 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OSI_model )

16. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    Duh, its late. Of course a direct connection wouldnt need the wireless key. Im losing it. Im going to bed :)

17. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    It's a wise man that knows when to quit. !rolling

18. kwasnicka

kwasnicka Mentor

Aug 23, 2011
    My whole home hook up is wired and I also have internet access on all my HDDVRs. Directv installed it that way. I already had ethernet cable hooked directly to my HR22-100 for Directv2PC and VOD and when whole home DVR was made available to everyone I had the install done and they just added DECAs to each of the HDDVRs (HR22-100, HR21-100, and HR20-100). Everything works great.

19. sigma1914

sigma1914 Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    How do you "turn off the wireless" on the WCK if you go from wireless to wired?

(Does that make sense?) :lol:

20. DarkLogix

DarkLogix Godfather

Oct 20, 2011
    I'm unfamilure with the details of the CCK-W but
    is there a reset button on it? can you erase the key from the settings?

I'd guess you can't turn off the wireless but you should be able to disconnect the wireless link to your network though, and I'd guess that it's not going to just lock onto some random open wifi