Hopper 2 compatible with a wally ?

Discussion in 'Hopper System Support Forum' started by MIKE JANKOWSKI, Jul 5, 2019.

1. MIKE JANKOWSKI

MIKE JANKOWSKI New Member

Jul 5, 2019
    I saw in a thread that that the hopper 3 is only compatible with the joeys. Im having my system installed and they said that i could not use a wally receiver if i have a hopper 2 (which i guess is what they are installing). Can anyone confirm that the wally is or is not compatible if i have the hopper 2 ??

Thanks

2. scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Kansas City KS
    Are you using the Wally in an RV ?

Otherwise, all you can use with the Hoppers are the Joeys.

3. MIKE JANKOWSKI

Jul 5, 2019
    no, we have a vacation home that we also rent out, right now with directv we lock up the dvr and replace it with a non dvr so our renters dont screw it up and was hoping to do the same with the dish hopper but they said they could not install the wallys with the hopper 2 as they are not compatible on the same system. Just want to double check as i have been told by dish that i can and also that i cannot.

4. NYDutch

NYDutch DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Dec 28, 2013
    With a single Hopper 2 and perhaps a Joey connected to a Solo Node, a Wally can be connected to the remaining output port on the LNB. The Wally and the H2 won't "talk" to each other though. Whether Dish will install that configuration or not, I don't know.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2019
  5. MIKE JANKOWSKI

Jul 5, 2019
    So if i had a hopper 2 with no joeys and 2 wallys, do you think that would work ?? Thanks

6. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    You might be able to get DISH to add one Wally to your account for tailgating.
    Their idea is that you would take the Wally away from your house to use elsewhere (in an RV or at a sporting event).

Once it is on the account you should be able to connect it to your home DISH.

The home setup is the Hopper and Joeys. DISH does not expect the tailgating Wally to be connected in the home.

NYDutch likes this.
  7. NYDutch

NYDutch DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Dec 28, 2013
    As James said, Dish won't allow two Wallys on a Hopper account. Plus, the Hopper2 and Solo Node use two of the three ports on the LNBF, so only one is available for a Wally anyway. As he also said, Dish expects the Wally to be on a separate dish, but they have no way of checking that it's sharing a dish with the Hopper. I have a Hopper2 in my motorhome that I use with a tripod mounted 1000.4 dish using two ports. On occasion I've shared it with a campground neighbor that has a Wally or VIP211k or z and couldn't get a signal with his western arc only Tailgater or Trav'ler. But I could with my eastern arc LNBF installed...

8. n0qcu

n0qcu Legend/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Mar 23, 2002
    Actually DISH's rule is you can have up to two owned Wallys or 211(k or z) on a Hopper account.

9. MIKE JANKOWSKI

Jul 5, 2019
    Ok, thats ggod to know, i see in your signature you have 2 hopper 3 and 2 wallys, is that with more than 1 dish im assuming ?? You said 2 owned wallys, so that would be 2 that i had purchased myself somewhere ?