Hopper 3 Activation woes (the downside of being a DIYer)

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by pogo, Nov 9, 2018.

1. pogo

pogo AllStar

Oct 31, 2007
    I've been in the process of moving my programming from D* to Dish for a few weeks. Got my technical ducks in a row. Went with a 1000.2 DPP and a DPH42 switch. Got everything working and peaked on my current VIP612 receiver. Received the new Hopper 3 yesterday and no card. Okay, got it hooked up passed switch test and arrived at the activation screen. Since I had no card I called tech support for assistance. (They claim the smartcard is internal and indeed there is a smartcard number listed on the activation screen.) Okay, great let's activate it. Now the grrrrrr! They won't activate without a service call to install a new dish! The only dish the know about is the DPP 500 that they installed, which of course won't work. Is there any way to get to someone who can understand that I know what I'm talking about. I thought that telling her that the installation switch test passed would be sufficient, but I'm not completely sure she knows what that means. AH WELL, tommorrow's another day.

2. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    The next CSR you call could help. "Roulette" sometimes helps. Otherwise keep asking for a manager or someone at the next level who could help.

3. pogo

pogo AllStar

Oct 31, 2007
    Well it's official according the the tech supervisor I just spoke to it is not possible to upgrade from a VIP series receiver to a Hopper 3 without a service call.
    Needs different equipment you know. What different equipment? Hybrid lnbs, Nodes, etc. I surrendered and added dish protect, and the tech will be here this afternoon. If there's any justice in the world the Hopper 3 will fail and be replaced a couple of times in the next six months.

4. RBA

RBA Well-Known Member

Apr 14, 2013
    TEXAS
    Why would you want the Hopper 3 to fail you are the one who will suffer?

5. pogo

pogo AllStar

Oct 31, 2007
    Because I was suckered into $60 worth of dish protect to reduce the cost of a service call that wasn't necessary. While waiting for the service tech I checked back on the new Hopper and lo and behold it's status showed "activated". Ya think I was suckered? Cause I do. Seems like the folks who said they couldn't do it did it as soon as I caved.