Hopper 3 as replacement for a pair of 722Ks?

Discussion in 'Hopper System Support Forum' started by ggulch, Jan 30, 2018.

1. ggulch

ggulch Cool Member

Jul 25, 2007
    Current setup is two 722Ks, both in single mode, feeding 3 TVs via a HDMI matrix switch. Thinking about replacing the 722s with a Hopper 3 and Joeys. Couple of concerns. Does the Hopper "read" EHDs formatted on the 722? We have a dozen hard drives full of programs, connected to either DVR using drive docks which makes it easy to swap the HDs. If the Hopper won't read the drives as they are that's a deal breaker. It would be nice if we could connect more than on EHD to the Hopper at a time, but that's not as big an issue.

I've been trying to figure out the best way to connect the Joeys to the Hopper, coax or ethernet. I already have both ( and HDMI) run from the room where the 722s are in to the rooms where the TVs are. I think we'd gain recording flexibility with the Hopper, if we don't lose access to the EHDs.

TIA,
    Ron

2. n0qcu

n0qcu Legend/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Mar 23, 2002
    Yes the Hopper can use (read) the EHD's from your 722's. You can connect 2 to the H3 at the same time, I've heard you can do three but have not confirmed.

3. scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Kansas City KS
    Dish WANTS you to use coax to connect the Hopper and Joeys. It MAY workout to use ethernet for the whole setup. You will certainly want to connect the Hopper to the internet (while it can be done wireless - it would probably work better over ethernet).

4. ggulch

ggulch Cool Member

Jul 25, 2007
    Thanks. Obviously my primary concern is not bricking all of those EHDs. The installers won't have any issues running new coax if they want. The house is on post and beam and I have PVC pipe in place where the TVs are located. I'm guessing you can set up multiple remotes, too. Doesn't make sense that you couldn't. I'm guessing the biggest hassle is going to be negotiating with the CSR to get the costs as low as possible. If we do the swap I'll need to pick up a couple of bare drives and copy all of the programs from the 722s. That take a while, but I should be able to backup both overnight.