1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hopper 3 EHD Weirdness

Discussion in 'Hopper System Support Forum' started by ggulch, Feb 14, 2018.

1. ggulch

ggulch Cool Member

Jul 25, 2007
    So we pulled the trigger to swap our two 722Ks for a Hopper 3 and a couple of Joeys, but only after repeated assurances that the hard drives we've been using would work with the Hopper. Guess what..., they don't!

Some background - for some time after we got the 722Ks I would buy stand alone EHDs and swap USB cables if I wanted to access a different drive. At some point I decided to see if the DVRs would read/write to bare drives using drop-in drive docks, which they did. An aside, it seems to me that DVR access to the EHDs is faster if you use 7200 RPM/1tb drives.

Problem now is the Hopper doesn't "see", much less read or write to drives in either of the docks I have. The kicker is that the Hopper is working fine with one of the older standalone EHDs which was originally formatted on a 722 and NOT reformatted on the Hopper. This pretty much disproves the Dish tech's assertion that the EHD formatting is different on the two platforms.

Dish is sending a replacement Hopper 3, but I'll be surprised if that solves our problem. They "might" give us a 722K back, but it would be on a new, separate account, or we could "downgrade" back to a pair of 722ks.

Other alternatives? What a PITA!!

RD

2. PokerJoker

PokerJoker Godfather

Apr 12, 2008
    Las Vegas
    Did you try it using each one of the USB ports on the Hopper 3? I think there are 3.

3. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    and try to search for same issue here - I recall we did discuss the issue in a few threads, there was solutions, btw

4. Spice Girl

Spice Girl Member

Jan 18, 2018
    My hopper which is hopper 2 quit recognizing my external hard drive. Found out in these forums it is because the connection is a USB 3.0. The hopper wanted to format the external hard drive wven though the hard drive was formatted be hopper about a month before.

I am not sure if hopper 3 supports USB 3.0 or not. If not that could possibly be the problem.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

5. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    the H3 has two USB 2.0 ports (one is at front) and one USB 3.0 on a back
    if there are recordings on EHD I wouldn't allow H do format the drive, perhaps will connect it to other port or do that in different time (before boot perhaps)

6. Spice Girl

Spice Girl Member

Jan 18, 2018
    Remember I never reformatted my hard drive. Took too long to get those recordings. I remember the person at DISH told me the only fix would be to reformat the external hard drive. I decided right then and there I was not going to listen to that advice. Glad I did not. With the help from P Smith I was able to save my Recordings and copy these to a 2.0 USB external hard drive. I have hopper 2 which does nit support USB 3.0 that is what my problem was.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk