Hopper 3 install fees

Discussion in 'Hopper System Support Forum' started by Malberda, Feb 3, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Feb 3, 2016 #1 of 19
    Malberda

Malberda New Member

Feb 3, 2016
    I just called Dish about getting a Hopper 3 and was told there would be a $150 fee. This doesn't line up with the press release that most customers would have no upfront fee. The install should be easy, I recently joined Dish and had my services installed last month. The tech gave me a heads up on Hopper 3 and said it should just be a matter of swapping devices out. Anyone have any ideas on this or are the fees normal?!

2. Feb 3, 2016 #2 of 19
    James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    The fees are based on the individual account. They can vary based on credit rating and level of programming, and of course, how long you have been a subscriber and how well you pay the bills.

3. Feb 3, 2016 #3 of 19
    georgewells

georgewells AllStar

Feb 23, 2006
    Hayden,Idaho
    Just Complain to the CRS (agent) -- I got all the fees waived -- Hopper 3 + 2 Joey2's @ $0.00

1 person likes this.
  4. Feb 3, 2016 #4 of 19
    bmetelsky

bmetelsky Cool Member

Feb 28, 2009
    The fee is more than likely because you just had equipment installed a month ago as a new customer.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

5. Feb 3, 2016 #5 of 19
    Malberda

Malberda New Member

Feb 3, 2016
    I wondered if it could be that I was a new customer and they already have me for two years.... I guess I'll try again and see if I get someone else more willing to work with me. Kinda feels like the old cable company.

Thanks for the feedback everyone.

6. Feb 3, 2016 #6 of 19
    inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    You probably wouldn't need to wait two years if they still try and charge you. I'd wait till summer maybe and try again if calling and trying again a couple times now doesn't work.

7. Feb 3, 2016 #7 of 19
    Poorsha

Poorsha New Member

Apr 29, 2013
    Riverside, CA
    Just had install of 1 Hopper 3 and 2 4k Joeys to replace 2 Hopper2's and 1 Joey. All fees waived. It pays to be a long term Dish customer.

8. Feb 3, 2016 #8 of 19
    Blowgun

Blowgun DHMO User

May 23, 2008
    Western Arc
    You have to play Customer Service Roulette sometimes. BTW, the Tech was wrong. There's more to it than swapping out receivers.

9. Feb 3, 2016 #9 of 19
    James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    The wording was "swapping devices". In addition to the receiver, the tech needs to swap the LNB and node. That is, if they didn't install a hybrid LNB in the first place. The hybrid LNB works with the "old" Hoppers and could have been used with a new install before the Hopper 3 was released.

1 person likes this.
  10. Mark4470

Mark4470 Member

Jan 17, 2016
    I had the hopper installed on Monday, csr told me $95 to install. So I just got off the phone after reading this topic and the nice csr waived my $95 install fee! I'm glad I stumbled onto this site..

11. CalifLove

CalifLove Cool Member

Mar 24, 2009
    I had to go through 3 reps but finally got a guy that would work with me.

renewed 2 yr contract (wasn't a huge fan of this) - no "upgrade fee" - $10 discount for 8 months and $10 tech installation fee. Monthly cost goes up to $15/m for DVR service.

All n all, not bad but not great either - I think we would have been better off waiting until my contract was up and starting a new contract as new customer....but I'm impatient...

Ironically, on the first call I was told "old" joeys would not work with the new Hopper and I would need 2 new 4K Joeys and that was the reason for the upgrade fee - now I am told that is not the case. Anywho, I'll have Hopper 3 on Monday...Hopefully it works as advertised!

12. normang

normang Icon

Nov 14, 2002
    Are the DVR fees the same for the new Hopper 3 and a Joey or did that change?

13. thomasjk

thomasjk Legend

Jan 10, 2006
    $15 for DVR fee and $7 for the Joey.

14. patmurphey

patmurphey Godfather

Dec 21, 2006
    A free installation and a new customer discount one month ago and now wants another free installation. $150 is a bargain.

15. lparsons21

lparsons21 Hall Of Fame

Mar 4, 2006
    Herrin, IL
    I agree. I am a returning customer a few months back and am getting the new customer discounts, and a slew of Premiums at well below premium pricing, and I upgraded to add a SuperJoey about a month ago. I didn't expect, nor did I get, a special deal. But I think I got a bargain anyway as I actually didn't expect them to let me get the Hopper 3 anyway.
    So I'm happy as a pig in slop and Dish is happy with some more of my money. A win for both of us.

Sent from my iPad Pro using Tapatalk

16. normang

normang Icon

Nov 14, 2002
    So there is a $3 increase I think over the previous generation Hoppers?

17. thomasjk

thomasjk Legend

Jan 10, 2006
    Yes but any previous generation Hoppers will be charged the new fee if a customer upgrades equipment. H2K to HWS for example. Hopper 3 is $15.

18. CalifLove

CalifLove Cool Member

Mar 24, 2009
    Yup, that appears to be what it is. The thing that gets me is the cost for the unit apparently changes based on who you talk to and their mood which makes zero sense to me. Seems Dish should go by what is announced in the press release - ultimately that argument is what got me my "deal". Having to signup for a new 2year contract was a bit off-putting but I get it - thats why I lobbied for the $10/m off for a year and ultimately got 8 months... Seems the reps are empowered to do quite a bit on their own, though the guy I talked to had to do a lot of typing in between talking as if he was securing permission on everything he had to say....

19. Malberda

Malberda New Member

Feb 3, 2016
    CSR roulette as one of you called it seems to have paid off, a very satisfied customer here.