1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hopper 3 issues.

Discussion in 'Hopper System Support Forum' started by R. Harden, Nov 7, 2018.

1. Nov 7, 2018 #1 of 16
    R. Harden

R. Harden New Member

Nov 7, 2018
    I just switched from Direct TV to Dish Net last week, 11/02/18. I have the Hopper 3 with two Joeys. The installer could not use the eastern satellite because of trees, so he pointed the dish antenna to the western satellite. I have newer LG 4K HD TV's. The color has greenish tones and the picture is not sharp. TV adjustments can't clear things up. Also the sound drops volume on commercials and non programming. Both TV's are like this. I have had the Dish Net techs out to my place three times. They replaced an HDMI cable and an optical cable. The picture is still inferior to Direct TV, which we thought was perfect. My digital air to air outdoor antenna has better picture than the Dish Net picture. Has anyone experienced anything like this? If so, what was the fix? If Dish can't figure it out, I'm switching back to Direct TV.

2. Nov 8, 2018 #2 of 16
    RBA

RBA Well-Known Member

Apr 14, 2013
    TEXAS
    You may have solved the problem, switch back and see if it makes you happier.

R. Harden likes this.
  3. Nov 8, 2018 #3 of 16
    n0qcu

n0qcu Legend/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Mar 23, 2002
    You're the first person I've seen complain that the commercials are not as loud as the programming usually it's just the opposite so actually this would make you lucky.

FarmerBob and R. Harden like this.
  4. Nov 8, 2018 #4 of 16
    R. Harden

R. Harden New Member

Nov 7, 2018
    Thanks. I only switched from Direct TV to Dish because of cost. Dish gave me a deal and I was with them four years ago, and no issues. Three times they have been here and all they do is check installation and adjust the TV picture setting, then leave. I think the Hopper 3 could be bad. A local Dish Net installer has had a few issues. I'm switching back to Direct. They just gave me a super deal for 12 mouths.

5. Nov 8, 2018 #5 of 16
    R. Harden

R. Harden New Member

Nov 7, 2018
    Thanks for the reply. The RFD channel has low volume, Bloomberg also, and many others are the same. Commercials and off broadcast do this at times. The volume can be normal, then drop where we can't hear it. Most of those channels, we don't watch, but still, it's not right. Dish techs were here yesterday, replaced an HDMI cable and a digital audio cable (fiber optics). He adjust the TV picture so dark, we didn't see definition. I set it back and it still looks odd. Greenish cast and very vibrant greens. Blond hair is greenish blond, faces are light olive and gray colors have a green cast. My air to air HD programs are next to perfect, so I don't think my TV's are the issue.

6. Nov 8, 2018 #6 of 16
    FarmerBob

FarmerBob Godfather

Nov 27, 2002
    I've noticed that El Ray is blaring. A good 15dB louder. If only all the rest of the channels were +15dB, I could turn down my AVR to match all the other inputs, i.e: TV, ATV, BDP and Computer feed. AND get it out of the "wide open" range. I've been saying this for years, but now have an example.

R. Harden likes this.
  7. patmurphey

patmurphey Godfather

Dec 21, 2006
    None of this has anything to do with the Hopper3, it's just the way Dish sends to you what it receives.

R. Harden likes this.
  8. R. Harden

R. Harden New Member

Nov 7, 2018
    So are you saying, what I have for a picture, is as good as it gets? Direct TV was much better. Great color and definition. I plan to switch back. I had Dish Net five years ago, and I was happy, but I have better TV's now. I believe you, the signal is causing this.

9. patmurphey

patmurphey Godfather

Dec 21, 2006
    I have never seen your complaints about PQ. I think that I will rely on the leader of the "other" forum, who has both, and says there is very little difference. Enjoy the buyout fee, Genie lack of features, and the Genie user interface debacle.

R. Harden likes this.
  10. R. Harden

R. Harden New Member

Nov 7, 2018
    Direct just offered $300.00 the other day if I come back. That alone is not enough to convince me to switch back, it's the picture quality that is what we don't like, and to pay Dish on a two year contract for an inferior product or signal, is just too long of time. We never had issues with the Genie in the past. I realize the Hopper 3 has more features, and recording time, but when the picture quality so poor, we don't care. I would gladly stay with Dish if they could figure this out, but they haven't. Please check with the person you know on the other forum. I would like his take. Thanks!

11. patmurphey

patmurphey Godfather

Dec 21, 2006
    Number one, I don't have a problem with PQ. Number two, I just reported what I've read on the other forum, posted by its operator. Management of this forum would not appreciate my posting a link as a result of some past disagreements.

R. Harden likes this.
  12. R. Harden

R. Harden New Member

Nov 7, 2018
    Pat Murphey, please don't get upset, and why? You stated, "I think that I will rely on the leader of the "other" forum, who has both", so I thought you were going ask the leader a question. I misunderstood what you meant.

I thought forums like this was to get others ideas, advice and opinions.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2018 at 10:29 AM
  13. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    PQ is based on perception. We have people here who have had both and "can't tell the difference" as well as those who believe they can. We have people here who have serious issues with their DIRECTV signals. Perhaps there are personalities that people trust or distrust and some people don't trust themselves and seem to rely on others to tell them if their PQ is good or bad. Or they are looking for confirmation for their opinions. But at the end of the day PQ is in the eye of the beholder.

R. Harden likes this.
  14. R. Harden

R. Harden New Member

Nov 7, 2018
    I agree with you. PQ is in the eye of the beholder. I can adjust my TV's picture controls for my likes, yet others may think my eye tastes are poor. The picture from Dish Net is inferior to my air to air outdoor antenna, which I can switch in a second. It's easy to compare. Color and definition is much better on air to air, as long I'm comparing an HD to HD signal. Others have watched my TV and commented how poor PQ looks on satellite. It's not just me, it's my wife and others. I hate to sound like a complainer and maybe I am, but the Dish picture is bad compared to what we had with Direct. We are on vacation and the TV PQ at the resort is perfect. It's cable, but perfect. My wife noticed it. When we get back home, I'll give it a second look and then decide. Thanks.
    I'm not trying to drag Dish Net down and brag up Direct.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2018 at 10:32 AM
  15. tivofan2018

tivofan2018 Member

Oct 19, 2018
    i have to agree with you about the PQ being better on OTA vs satellite as satellite compresses there signals to fit as many channels to a transponder as they can cable is worse. the best sources for true HD and 4K are blu ray and OTA

16. olds403

olds403 Godfather

Nov 20, 2007
    I have had dish for 16 years, first SD, then a 722 for 10 years, moved and upgraded to Hopper 3 in April of this year. I do have to say that I think the picture quality now with the Hopper 3 is less sharp than when I had my 722. (whether that is equipment or signal related I do not know) Both receivers were connected to the same 65 inch Panasonic Plasma (though not at the same time), and I have noticed LESS detail (hair, skin texture, patterns in fabric, etc...) with the new equipment. No changes to anything else in the system.

I will say that it varies by channel, some looking better, with more detail than others. But overall I think the picture quality is less than it was before. Blu-Ray and OTA look amazing on my TV, but the Dish picture is definitely less detailed. I still like Dish as a whole but wish the picture was a little sharper.