Hopper 3, Joey 4K, can't play 4K on Joey

Discussion in 'Hopper System Support Forum' started by jbjsm, Feb 22, 2017.

1. jbjsm

jbjsm Cool Member

May 15, 2005
    Recently upgraded to a Hopper 3 and joey 4K. Hopper 3 is in the living room connected to a Sharp 80" 844U (1080p). Joey 4K is in the den hooked up to a 65" Vizio P series (2016 model). Recorded the new episode of Planet Earth II in 4K from channel 540 to the Hopper 3. When I try to play it back on the joey 4K the screen goes black and the Hopper crashes. When the Hopper reboots I get a pop up error message on the joey (#1305) "Broadband connection lost" and it prompts me to unplug the Hopper for 10 seconds and reboot. After 3 trys which produced the same black screen and crashed Hopper 3 I called Dish tech support. Explained the problem in detail and was asked to repeat the process with the tech on the line. Turned on joey 4k and Vizio tv, pushed the DVR button on the remote, scrolled down to the Planet Earth icon, pushed "select" and black screen and crashed Hopper 3. The tech then ran diagnostics on the Hopper 3 after it rebooted as well as the joey 4K. She then proceeded to tell me that since the Hopper 3 was not connected to a 4K tv that it was impossible to record or play back any 4K content. At this point I asked to speak to tier 2 tech support and was told that my only option was to schedule a tech onsite visit. I reluctantly agreed and this afternoon he showed up. He ran diagnostics on both boxes and found no issues. I then demonstrated the problem and sure enough the Hopper 3 crashed as soon as the Planet Earth 4K program was selected from the joey 4K. We then tried playing the 4K program from the Hopper 3 on the Sharp tv and to our great surprise it played fine although at 1080P the native resolution of the Sharp. Even more shocking was that once the program was playing on the Sharp I could now select it and play it on the Vizio from the joey 4K in 4K! Any attempt to initiate playback on the Joey 4K without first starting playback on the Sharp (Hopper 3) resulted in a system crash and reboot. The tech concluded that this was a Dish software issue and should not have occurred. He offered to replace the Hopper 3 but said I would lose all of my recorded shows and still have the issue. I plan on replacing the Sharp 844U in the near future with a 4K set. I recently replaced all the components in my AV system with 4K capable units (including HDMI cables). If I still have this issue after replacing the 844U with a 4K tv I will be asking Dish to remove their equipment since they have not honored the contract that the Hopper 3 as well as the joey 4K can record and playback 4K content. Very disappointed that after 12 years as a Dish customer that I may be one of the growing number of "cord cutters".

2. n0qcu

n0qcu Legend/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Mar 23, 2002
    So you'd cancel DISH because of a software bug that will most likely be fixed.

3. jbjsm

jbjsm Cool Member

May 15, 2005
    With "likely" being the operative word. Does my Joey 4K have Netflix app? It's been promised how long? Getting tired of Dish not delivering on features and fixes.

4. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    You should be able to swap receivers without losing shows but it takes time to transfer the content. And as noted, if the problem is with firmware you'll get the same firmware and problem on the replacement.

5. jbjsm

jbjsm Cool Member

May 15, 2005
    Considered that and decided to wait until I replace the non-4K Sharp connected to the H3. That will give DISH a few more months to solve the firmware problem. If they haven't by then I'll have to consider other options.

6. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    This actually seems like a well-reasoned complaint. Kudos for that! Seriously. Glad the tech that came out took the time to probably figure out where the bug is... the trick is whether or not Dish actually gets that report and does something with it. That sounds like an easy enough bug to reproduce UNLESS it turns out to somehow be related to your current TV/AV receiver setup. I know they have had issues in the past with certain hardware and if it happened to be something they didn't have available to test in-house, those bugs took longer to address.

Anyway, it sure does sound like a firmware issue. I could make a lot of guesses, but they'd just be guesses. It sounds like you're giving them some time while you are waiting to upgrade your main room... and this sounds like a major 4K playback issue that should have a high priority to fix, so I can't say I'd blame you for expecting it to work, especially since you also mentioned the Netflix issue, which makes your 4K Joey effectively useless for 4K since the only thing currently supported is something your setup won't allow without crashing.

7. camo

camo Godfather

Apr 15, 2010
    Its a known issue the 4K Joey playback failed of Planet Earth II 4K. Multiple post about it in other forum. Sure its being looked into by Dish. No need to replace H3.

8. Blowgun

Blowgun DHMO User

May 23, 2008
    Western Arc
    [snip wall of text]

More people might be incline to read your post and offer assistance if you included paragraphs. Just some friendly advice.

9. patmurphey

patmurphey Godfather

Dec 21, 2006
    Does anyone remember if their 4k Joeys played the Olympics 4k OK?

10. Grampa67

Grampa67 Legend

Mar 14, 2005
    My hopper 3 would get a black screen and keep rebooting. I checked the Joey and had the 1305 broadband error. I disconnected the coax to the Joey and my hopper booted properly.

I found that if I turned off broadband to the Joey everything worked.

I have periods that I loose internet and wonder if this causes this problem.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

11. JerriEric

JerriEric New Member

Apr 4, 2016
    Maine
    I have had 4kjoey for several years and never could play 4k movies from dish. At least until now. Thx for your post. I have the exact problem. Need to start 4k on my hopper3 which is attached to my Sony 1080i tv. Then start the same program on my Samsung 4k tv attached to the 4kJoey. Did dish ever fix this issue?

12. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    why they would spend time for just one customer?!

13. JerriEric

JerriEric New Member

Apr 4, 2016
    Maine
    Now 2 customers. Been a customer for 22 years. My Samsung upscale to 4k so I don't see much of a difference anyway. Seems like a dish bug to me but the again why should they care? Wonder how many more have not reported the issue and just live with it?

14. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    well, since dish don't care, if it's still exist in new versions of FW... only you could be the driving force to make a poll of all dish customers :eek:, but … how you will get in touch with millions of customers ?

15. JerriEric

JerriEric New Member

Apr 4, 2016
    Maine
    I would have switched to DirecTV or Spectrum long ago but I really like the dish guide. My daughter has DirecTV because she dropped dush because they were so unresponsive but when I go to her house I hate the DirecTV guide. Same goes for Time Warner Spectrum. So after 22 years with Dish I guess I'm hooked.

16. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    So the report rate has doubled! :)

I assume most people put their Hopper 3 on their 4K TV (if they have one) instead of having a non-4K on the Hopper 3 and a 4K on a Joey. I also assume more than two people have done the opposite but there is so little 4K content that the few without a 4K on the Hopper 3 either have not noticed or have not complained.

17. rickermiler

rickermiler New Member

Dec 9, 2020
    United States
    How to convert AV to HDMI in this case?

18. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    buy a converter box