Hopper 3 noisy or quiet?

Discussion in 'Hopper System Support Forum' started by Cavicchi, Jun 30, 2019.

1. Cavicchi

Cavicchi Legend

Oct 28, 2008
    Effort, PA
    I have DirecTV with the whole home package, 4K Genie and I believe C61. My DVR is so quiet I don't hear it. How would the Hopper 3 compare with regard to noise? I assume the Joey minis would not be an issue with noise.

The reason for my switching is cost--along with $300 dollar prepaid card :)

Thanks

2. FarmerBob

FarmerBob Godfather

Nov 27, 2002
    My first H3 made some noises that I thought was a fan or drive going out. SolidSignal where I got replaced it without an issue and the second one makes a little bit of noise. My H2 was silent. But then that could be the H3 has a different kind of fan and better air flow.

Cavicchi likes this.
  3. Cavicchi

Cavicchi Legend

Oct 28, 2008
    Effort, PA
    That's not good. I am very sensitive to that kind of thing, which is why I have solid state drives in my computer. My DTV receiver is virtually silent, meaning, I don't hear it even when one foot away.

I am surprised your Hopper 2 was silent. Well, could be that very large hdd in the 3 is reason for larger fan, or just the hdd itself making noise.

4. Cavicchi

Cavicchi Legend

Oct 28, 2008
    Effort, PA
    Oh, have to correct earlier post on equipment: I have an HR54 DTV receiver and 2 minis. The HR54 is what I was referring to as virtually silent. Anyway, great offer from Dish, but a noisy receiver will not be in my den--just not acceptable to me.

5. patmurphey

patmurphey Godfather

Dec 21, 2006
    My Hopper3 has been dead silent from the beginning, as were my previous two Hoppers. Don't believe one person's isolated experience applies to other DVRs.

6. Cavicchi

Cavicchi Legend

Oct 28, 2008
    Effort, PA
    You don't hear the fan or hdd running?

7. patmurphey

patmurphey Godfather

Dec 21, 2006
    I said dead quiet!

8. Cavicchi

Cavicchi Legend

Oct 28, 2008
    Effort, PA
    You mean it died and not working anymore?

FarmerBob likes this.
  9. patmurphey

patmurphey Godfather

Dec 21, 2006
    Geez! Just stay with DirecTV, hard drives and fans are all made by the same stupid Chinese companies. Most of them are DEAD quiet. :D

It's your loss not to have the Hopper3.