Hopper 3 only records last 3 minutes of show

Discussion in 'Hopper System Support Forum' started by Rick_R, Apr 25, 2018.

1. Rick_R

Rick_R Legend

Sep 1, 2004
    Simi Valley, CA
    I have had Dish HD for 18 years and several hoppers. My hopper 3 seems to have a strange problem. Occasionally it contains the show immediately after the one I wanted to record and having only the last 3 minutes of the show I wanted. It appears to occur only when the show is also recorded in prime time anytime and I asked the H3 to save all episodes of that particular show. Also I wait to watch it until after the prime time anytime version has been deleted.

For example I asked the H3 to record all the Bachelor Winter Games episodes of which there were about 4. I went back several weeks later to watch all the episodes and watched the first two then the last 2 contained only the last 3 minutes and the show that was on after the Bachelor Winter Games. The same thing occurred with The Orville.

This is really annoying. You sit down to watch a series and don't get to watch the ending of the series.

Is anyone else having this problem?

Rick R

2. NYDutch

NYDutch DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Dec 28, 2013
    Could there have been sports events that pushed back the show times?

3. n0qcu

n0qcu Legend/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Mar 23, 2002
    It's a known problem, the simplest solution is turn off PTAT and just use normal timers for the shows you want.

4. Rick_R

Rick_R Legend

Sep 1, 2004
    Simi Valley, CA
    Thanks n0qcu.

Yes, I noticed that recordings I set up before I enabled ptat work fine. However if you have enabled ptat then any series recordings you make that are also part of ptat are affected. Is there any way to use normal timers with out disabling ptat, making the recording, and re-enabling ptat?

Rick R

5. dmspen

dmspen Hall Of Fame

Dec 1, 2006
    Los Gatos,...
    I have been complaining about this issue for over a year. I lose many shows, almost always on ABC but occasionally on Fox. I wasn't aware of the ptat issue. I'll try that and see what happens.

6. n0qcu

n0qcu Legend/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Mar 23, 2002
    With 16 tuners you really don't need to use PTAT.

If you're using PTAT to get autohop just set PTAT for one night and a single network (one that you don't record any shows that night works best)

7. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    It must be a Hopper 3 issue. I have never had it happen on my Hopper (original version). I normally set series timers by choosing "Save Series" from a PTAT recording but have also chosen "Record Series" from the guide with success.

8. patmurphey

patmurphey Godfather

Dec 21, 2006
    With PTAT active, and you want to have a recording have extra minutes at the end, you can set a regular timer, then unskip the regular recording in the daily schedule every time it appears. It's been that way with all Hoppers. You cannot add minutes to saved PTAT episodes. As others have said PTAT is obsolete with the 16 tuner Hopper3. A minimum setting is all you need for Autohop. If you are worried about missing a new show, it takes no effort to look at the prime time hours on the networks once a day. You have plenty of tuners to record shows that you might have the slightest interest in, and if your drive gets too full you always can offload to an EHD.

9. James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    I usually forget about a new show or special until after it airs. For example, I intended to record the "Carpool Karaoke" special last Monday but forgot until I saw an ad for it in one of the shows I recorded last week. Having PTAT active meant that the show was still there.

BTW - one does not need 16 tuners to record the four major networks at the same time. I have been doing that (even outside of PTAT hours) on my hopper since I plugged it in.

10. 722921

722921 Legend

Jan 3, 2008
    So I'm going from H1 to H3 tomorrow...is this still an issue or has it been fixed?

11. dmspen

dmspen Hall Of Fame

Dec 1, 2006
    Los Gatos,...
    I have an H3 and it happened frequently. I recently disabled PTAT and haven't had an issue since.

12. patmurphey

patmurphey Godfather

Dec 21, 2006
    Hopper3 records the same way as the other Hoppers. It was a quirk experienced by one or a few. Don't worry, you'll love the improvement in speed and never having conflicts.

13. dmspen

dmspen Hall Of Fame

Dec 1, 2006
    Los Gatos,...
    H3 is miles above H1. You'll be :grinning:

14. Rick_R

Rick_R Legend

Sep 1, 2004
    Simi Valley, CA
    Seems like they should have fixed this by now. However they haven't. It is really frustrating. My wife and I like to watch the new Love Connection however it is low on our priority list for watching. I recorded 9 episodes of the new season but when we got around to watching it over half had only the last minute. This really sucks. I have PTAT because I sometimes forget to record something or decide to watch something after the fact. We really like PTAT. I would record each Love Connection separately but to no avail.

Since the recordings I set before I enabled PTAT work fine I guess the solution is to disable PTAT (not during prime time) and set the recording then enable PTAT again.

Rick R

15. patmurphey

patmurphey Godfather

Dec 21, 2006
    If you set a recording while PTAT is active, the PTAT recording has priority. You would have to go into the schedule and unskip the recording that you set for it to record. With a Hopper3 PTAT is pretty much unnecessary with the ability to record up to 19 shows at one time. If you want to keep autoskip, limit PTAT to one day and one day save. Otherwise just turn it off. It takes almost no time at all to look the prime time networks in the guide to check for shows you want to record.

n0qcu likes this.
  16. Rick_R

Rick_R Legend

Sep 1, 2004
    Simi Valley, CA
    As I stated there are 3 reasons I need PTAT. First, sometimes I forget to record something. Second, sometimes I hear about something after the fact. Third sometimes I have watched everything I recorded and go to PTAT to look for something interesting.

When I set a recording why does the Hopper try to use the PTAT tuner? There are 16 so just use another one and then there is no conflict.

Rick R

17. James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    If you are recording something from one of your four PTAT channels it should record on the PTAT tuner. Even during non-PTAT times these channels share a tuner. If it is not a PTAT channel the timer should use another available tuner.

18. patmurphey

patmurphey Godfather

Dec 21, 2006
    PT saved recordings have priority over user set recordings. That's just the way it is. If you absolutely want to keep PTAT for everything and you want to be sure of getting the user recording, with extra time for example, you have to unskip your user recording. To me, it's too much of a pain.

As far as "missing something", with all those tuners, just check the prime time networks, mostly one page of the guide, once a day and record everything that you MIGHT want to watch.

It's your choice to live with it the way it is, or do something else.

19. James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    I prefer Rick's method - let PTAT do its job. I don't want to spend time looking through the guide before new content airs. I went through and set some timers on September 23rd as premier week started (based on advertised new shows), but there are too many new shows to make a decision on every program - and PTAT allows me to be wrong. After selecting a dozen new shows that look interesting, I usually hear someone talking about a new show I didn't hand pick. PTAT turns back the clock and lets me catch those shows.

20. patmurphey

patmurphey Godfather

Dec 21, 2006
    That's fine if you watch the shows during the period when PTAT is saved. If you watch anything saved after the PTAT period, you lose the possibly needed time overrun.