1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hopper 3 Output to component and HDMI simultaneously?

Discussion in 'Hopper System Support Forum' started by ScubaAddict, Aug 8, 2016.

1. Aug 8, 2016 #1 of 20
    ScubaAddict

ScubaAddict New Member

Aug 24, 2007
    Can Hopper3 output to component and HDMI simultaneously? All of my previous receivers have, but before upgrading to H3, I need to know.

Also, do any of the joeys output to component? I don't think they do... so is there some sort of HDMI to Component that works well? If not, can you have 2 hopper 3's?

Thanks!

2. Aug 8, 2016 #2 of 20
  3. Aug 8, 2016 #3 of 20
    Blowgun

Blowgun DHMO User

May 23, 2008
    Western Arc
    You can't have two Hopper 3 receivers on the same account. Maybe someday you might, but I do not believe that has recently changed.

4. Aug 9, 2016 #4 of 20
    bmetelsky

bmetelsky Cool Member

Feb 28, 2009
    I believe that you can ask the installer for an HDMI to Component converter for the Joey's.

5. Aug 9, 2016 #5 of 20
    ScubaAddict

ScubaAddict New Member

Aug 24, 2007
    Does dish provide some sort of option for TV's that only have Component input that have to be hooked up to joeys (like the cable @nmetro linked above?)?

My situation: currently have 2 Hopper1's and 2 joeys. HopperA is connected to 2 TV's - 1 via HDMI, 1 Component. In another place in the house, I have HopperB that is pushing an HDMI TV, and the Component is multiplexed (split) to 4 other TV's - The 2 Joeys run another 2 tv's via HDMI.

So I need 2 different Component outputting receivers, one of which needs to be multiplexed. If I can't get 2 Hopper3's, I need to get a Joey to output to Component - I see @nmetro the cable you supplied a link to, but does dish provide anything to people (similar?) who have component driven TV's?

6. Aug 9, 2016 #6 of 20
    ScubaAddict

ScubaAddict New Member

Aug 24, 2007
    @bmetelsky - you replied at the same time I did. Thank you! If anyone can confirm that, it would be appreciated!

7. Aug 9, 2016 #7 of 20
    ScubaAddict

ScubaAddict New Member

Aug 24, 2007
    Ok. I just talked with DISH customer service, and they said the Hopper3 does not push video out of the component and HDMI at the same time. I am surprised that they stopped that after every previous receiver pushed to both HDMI and Component at the same time. :down:

8. Aug 9, 2016 #8 of 20
    dmspen

dmspen Hall Of Fame

Dec 1, 2006
    Los Gatos,...
    Interesting. I wonder how the Hopper3 knows what's plugged into the back? I would really hope someone here could verify this. My experience with DISH CSRs is they don't really know the equipment, they just read info off a computer. If their data doesn't specifically state both outputs are active, they won't tell you they are. They will err on the side of caution.

Can someone try this?

9. Aug 9, 2016 #9 of 20
    Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    I don't know whether Dish does it or not... but since HDMI requires a handshake to work, they could easily disable the component output whenever the HDMI handshake completes. They don't have to "know" if anything is connected via component or not, just knowing that something is connected via HDMI would be enough to make the cutoff.

10. SevenSixTwo

SevenSixTwo Member

Feb 7, 2016
    It does video from both. I have a DVD recorder and anything I watch I can burn to a disk. The recorder is red/white/yellow and the tv is HDMI. Both output at the same time. That's the Hopper 3.

1 person likes this.
  11. n0qcu

n0qcu Legend/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Mar 23, 2002
    All outputs are active on the H3 unless you're watch something in 4k then only the HDMI output is active.

Sent from my iPhone using DBSTalk

1 person likes this.
  12. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Fortunately DISH has been nice about this and has left the lesser outputs active when HDMI is active. If the HDMI handshake fails the other outputs are affected. (And as kevin noted, 4K is HDMI only.)

1 person likes this.
  13. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    Yeah, without having the receiver I couldn't say for sure. People forget there was that plan when Blu-ray first came out where they were going to only send SD even via component, and require HDMI for the HDCP protection. I don't know if that has ever been enforced either... at least not across the board anyway. 4K is probably the first to draw a line in the sand and not output to component. I wonder what it would look like IF they allowed it.

14. fidelity

fidelity New Member

Tuesday
    Hello, I am thinking about going from a Hopper 2 to the H3 and need to confirm that the Component Video (red/green/blue) output and HDMI are active simultaneously. From reading this thread it appears that they are, but I wanted to see if anyone can confirm this is still the case. I do not want to turn my H2 in if this capability has been disabled on the H3. Thank you!

15. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    see post#11

fidelity likes this.
  16. fidelity

fidelity New Member

Tuesday
    Thanks! I just wanted to confirm since I know they can turn that capability "off" at any point they decide.

17. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    that would your rock ;)

18. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    They still can ... even on your H2.

It should be noted that the component outputs MAY be disabled if the device connected to the HDMI output is off or not performing the correct HDCP handshake.

fidelity likes this.
  19. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    indeed

20. fidelity

fidelity New Member

Tuesday
    Very true, thanks!