hopper 3 question

Discussion in 'Hopper System Support Forum' started by tivofan2018, Jan 7, 2019.

1. Jan 7, 2019 #1 of 10
    tivofan2018

tivofan2018 Member

Oct 19, 2018
    i was wondering if i gain anything if i turn off the primetime recording since i don't watch every show during prime time just a select few i watch. from my understanding the primetime feature uses 1 tuner to record everything during primetime. now if i turn that off will i gain that tuner back to use it to record something else???

2. Jan 7, 2019 #2 of 10
    FarmerBob

FarmerBob Godfather

Nov 27, 2002
    So you need all 16 tuners to record on? Can't spare one?

To keep recordings longer than 7-8 days you need to select "Save" that program or series that appear in PTA as a timer/program anyway. So I have normal timers for all my programs that happen to be in the PTA time slot and have PTA set for Saturday when not much is on and set them to save the programs for a day or two. That way I get to have "Auto-Hop" on all programming that appear in the PTA time slots and all my programs that I want saved indefinitely in the main recordings area and there until I'm done with them.

If you turn off PTA for all days you will lose Auto-Hop.

3. Jan 7, 2019 #3 of 10
    mcutler

mcutler Cool Member

Jan 27, 2008
    I found that I rarely needed primetime recording and turned it off. I assume having the hard drive record all that every night eventually results in significant wear and tear on the hard drive. Why do that if you don't need it?

4. Jan 7, 2019 #4 of 10
    scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Kansas City KS

Primetime anytime records the Big 4 network station (or any subset of them) on whatever days you have it setup to record on one satellite tuner. You need to have it active on at least 1 day for the AutoHop to work. To keep a show beyond the 8 days of PrimeTime, you need to setup a regular timer for it - it will then record it from PrimeTime for you.

5. Jan 8, 2019 #5 of 10
    Jim5506

Jim5506 Hall Of Fame

Jun 7, 2004
    Unless your H3 is on standby mode, it is constantly buffering the current channel any way - very little wear-and-tear savings by turning off PTAT

6. Jan 9, 2019 #6 of 10
    patmurphey

patmurphey Godfather

Dec 21, 2006
    Prime Time anytime is obsolete with the Hopper3. On or off Hopper3 still uses only one tuner for the networks 24/7. You can set all the timers you want with little risk of a conflict, including making sure your recordings have extra minutes to avoid losing endings. If you want the Autohop feature, just set PTAT on one day/save one day on Saturday when networks have the least original programming. If you are worried about missing a new show, the guide shows the network offerings pretty much on one page - just look once a day.

(Shows saved from PTAT don't have extra time. An example is CSI LA where CBS routinely pushes it back for sports. I add an often needed hour to that show's timer.)

tivofan2018 likes this.
  7. Jan 9, 2019 #7 of 10
    tivofan2018

tivofan2018 Member

Oct 19, 2018
    it's more like i need the HDD space lol

8. Jan 9, 2019 #8 of 10
    James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    PTAT reuses about 100 hours of space per week ... emphasis on reuse. If you have an individual timer set the PTAT recorded shows will remain on the receiver until deleted (either manually, via a keep # limit or if space runs out). If that is too much space then you could set the receiver to keep less than 8 days. I have found it more valuable to have it recording than not. When I consider turning it off I usually need it for some show I forgot to record.

9. patmurphey

patmurphey Godfather

Dec 21, 2006
    I believe that the PTAT recording will not have the extra time you may have set (or the default 3 Minutes). You would have lost all or some of CSI LA for example if CBS had messed with the time for sports. The workaround is to go into the schedule and unskip the regular timer (a nuisance) or do without PTAT on most days. Another example, I was able t record all of "The Rookie" the other day by adding 30 minutes when I saw the possible interference from the President's speech. The show extended outside the PTAT time.

PTAT recordings play into the next hour or the end of PTAT 11PM if watched during the 8 days or less, but no extra time after.

I got sick of dealing with it some time ago, so I don't know the status with recent software. I doubt if it has changed.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2019
  10. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    I believe there have been some positive changes but I have not changed my timers from the defaults. I normally watch the Sunday evening programming before the next Sunday. When it was an issue it only affected programs after the 8 days. I have a timer set for the 11pm news to catch anything recorded after PTAT ends but I can't remember the last time I used that recording. (When the NBC game is scheduled past 11pm PTAT runs until at least the scheduled end of the game.)