1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hopper 3 Reboot

Discussion in 'Hopper System Support Forum' started by Avonjimmy, Jun 16, 2017.

1. Avonjimmy

Avonjimmy New Member

Jun 16, 2017
    Does anyone know why the Hopper 3 w Sling would be periodically Automatically Reboot? The Dish Contact has replaced the box, had a Dish Tech here, had me remove the EHD and had me tighten all connections but the Hopper 3 with Sling Reboots periodically such as early morning, watching a live event or a recorded show, late afternoon with sometimes as many as seven reboots in a row! Happened in last 3-4 weeks-never had any problem before! I've given up and ready to throw whole thing out the window (Hopper 3 and 3 Joeys) as it is not RELIABLE!!

2. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    it's a countermeasure against of coder's bugs !
    all dish DVRs rebooting midnight or so

3. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    That is not what he is describing. The "overnight" reboot on the Hopper 3 (and earlier Hoppers with the new UI) occurs when the receiver is off (not in use). There is an inactivity timer that can be set for the user's preference (including off) to allow the receiver to turn itself off and allow for the reboot and any updates.

Crashing while in use is not a programmed feature. There is likely something wrong with the individual's receiver or the power supplied to the receiver causing the reboot.

4. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    could be many reasons ...

5. bready

bready Cool Member

Dec 18, 2006
    After a year and a half of pretty much trouble free service my Hopper 3 has been doing the same thing. Rebooting during prime time is a problem because that is when it is recording programs we like to watch.

6. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    bready,
    would you attribute the reboots exclusively to new version of FW ?

7. unr1

unr1 Legend

Jul 16, 2005
    My hopper 3 doesn't do this at all. Only the nightly reboot when I'm not watching TV

8. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    perhaps you're lucky one - try to play PowerBall :)

9. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Or perhaps it is easier for people to post disparaging remarks, including about equipment they do not own, than post their own experiences.

unr1 likes this.
  10. unr1

unr1 Legend

Jul 16, 2005
    I don't gamble. But thanks for the suggestion.

11. dmspen

dmspen Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Dec 1, 2006
    Los Gatos,...
    It could be a varying power supply, that is, the house line power. My house power runs between 115-123 volts. This caused quite of bit of trouble with my old 722k including reboots and hard drive failures. I got a line conditioner and it cleared up all those issues.