1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hopper 3 storage question

Discussion in 'DISH™ High Definition Discussion' started by carl robbins, Sep 9, 2018.

1. carl robbins

carl robbins Member

Sep 5, 2018
    Portland oregon
    If i connect a 4 TB drive to hopper 3 will I have a total of six TB or does hopper just use external drive like D*?

2. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Additional hard drives add to the storage on DISH. They do not replace internal storage as done on DIRECTV.
    Content continues to record on the internal drive and can be transferred to external drive(s) for later viewing.
    Content does not need to be transferred back to be viewed.

gregleg and carl robbins like this.
  3. Jim5506

Jim5506 Hall Of Fame

Jun 7, 2004
    Last I heard external usable capacity is 2TB, anything larger, it ignores the excess.

Anyone heard different?

4. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    Last what I did a few years ago for H2 - used 3TB … there should be a thread where I did post its MBR what dish using to span over big HDD small 500 GB chunks to make it compatible with obsolete part of FW (I've deep feeling the external HDD support coder quit from dish long time ago and nobody understand what he did and how to modify his code to support whole volume of latest big HDDs with 4-6-8-10 TB)