Hopper 3 to replace one of two Hopper w/Sling

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by Ferguson, May 24, 2018.

1. Ferguson

Ferguson Cool Member

Jul 25, 2006
    I have two Hopper w/Slings, and one Joey (original type I think).

Just got a 4K TV on one, and would like to replace it with a Hopper 3.

Are there any issues in having a Hopper 3 and a Hopper with Sling together (+/- a replacement Joey). I know I had serious issues with the two hoppers when they shipped me one with newer software than the other, the Joey went nuts when you used it from the mis-matched hopper. So just want to see if there are issues with a Hopper 3 and Hopper/Sling.

Including can I watch shows recorded on one, from the other, as now? And watch from the Joey to either as now?

It looks like the cost is about the same; I can't really tell, but am paying $12 for each Hopper and $7 for the Joey (with America's Everything, so they should be nice about it).

Should the switch and dish all be compatible or will this entail a real install?

Linwood

2. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Gold Club DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    You will need a Hybrid LNB and hub for your Hopper 3. Connecting the Hopper 3 kills the second output from the LNB so you cannot connect any other receivers except Joey clients (no Hoppers or Super Joeys).

If you have a DPH42 switch and a non-hybrid LNB you can connect a Hopper 3 to one output and another Hopper system to the other output. You probably do not have that. A typical two Hopper install is a DPP LNB feeding a duo node feeding two Hoppers or a Hybrid LNB feeding a duo hub feeding two Hoppers. Not a DPH42.

3. n0qcu

n0qcu Legend/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Mar 23, 2002
    You MIGHT be able to get two H3 but DISH definitely will now allow any other Hopper type with a H3 on the same account.

4. Ferguson

Ferguson Cool Member

Jul 25, 2006
    Interesting, I figured they wouldn't allow two hopper three's, but would let me keep the other Hopper/sling, but it sounds like there are technical issues with that.

I hate to share a hopper with my wife. :eek:

But that may be the only path, switch to a hopper 3 and two joey's.

Sound right?

5. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    E.Mdtrn Sea
    I'll patiently wait for your own answer :D