Hopper 3 "Wireless connected and disabled"?

Discussion in 'Hopper System Support Forum' started by LJR, May 26, 2018.

1. LJR

LJR Mentor

Nov 2, 2005
    For some reason, my Hopper cannot access On Demand programming anymore. Netflix and YouTube work fine. When I go to Menu/settings/internet settings, there's a message at the bottom of the screen that says, "Wireless connected and disabled". Even though, I have it connected via an Ethernet cable.
    3050C1B0-7C00-4AD2-BCB4-75AC42AD68A6.jpeg
    I also can't access the Hopper using the Dish Anywhere app. I spent 3 hours with technical support, but no solution can be found. They said other people have reported the same issue, and it's being worked on to get fixed by a future software update.
    Since I have been a valued customer for 20+ years, I did talk them into $40 off my bill for 3 months...I just hope it's fixed a lot sooner! Anyone else in here?

'One more thing, the recently updated icons in the DVR have reverted to the old, smaller look.
    346D2F5A-3220-462A-AA79-71AFA73410E8.jpeg
    Sorry for the poor photos.

2. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    I would try to reboot it ...

3. LJR

LJR Mentor

Nov 2, 2005
    I've rebooted it at least 10 times over the past few days! I have tried every way possible to get the problem resolved, even tried resetting the Hopper to factory defaults!

4. n0qcu

n0qcu Legend/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Mar 23, 2002
    Try going in to settings and connect it to wifi but use the WRONG password so it cannot connect that should solve your problem.

5. LJR

LJR Mentor

Nov 2, 2005
    When I go to "Wireless setup", it says there is no wireless network available. Even though, my wifi is working fine..

6. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    I would do that again right after reset to factory defaults

7. Jan 6, 2019 #7 of 25
    reubenray

reubenray Godfather

Jun 26, 2002
    I am getting this error on my new Hopper 3. The installer this week connected the ethernet cable and it is working. But I want to connect my wireless system instead being it has security. It is showing "wireless connected and disabled". Will I need to unplug the ethernet cable? When I go to "wireless setup" it is showing my wifi setup name.

8. Jan 6, 2019 #8 of 25
    scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Kansas City KS
    And you think a wired connection doesn't have security ?

9. Jan 6, 2019 #9 of 25
    P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    did you call CSR and allow them troubleshoot your H3 ?

10. reubenray

reubenray Godfather

Jun 26, 2002
    Actually it does not. I am picking up a RV resort wifi (no password protection) and using an adapter to make it wired. Plus my wifi (wireless) setup that I want to use is much faster.

11. reubenray

reubenray Godfather

Jun 26, 2002
    No - I try to get solutions from forums instead of calling up CSR's that have no idea on what to do.

Will the Hopper 3 work with 5 ghz wifi?

Last edited: Jan 6, 2019
  12. reubenray

reubenray Godfather

Jun 26, 2002
    I got my wifi working. I disconnected the ethernet cable and I then did a reboot of the Hopper 3. I then had to sign back into my wifi and it worked.

thomasjk likes this.
  13. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    did you check it at 5 GHz ?

14. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    HOW it could be fast if people usually using 1 Gbps wired connection ?!

Last edited: Jan 8, 2019
  15. reubenray

reubenray Godfather

Jun 26, 2002
    On my hotspot (only 5 ghz) that I connect to all of my equipment I can get speeds up to 70 mbps. The other setup (2.4 ghz) that I have is wireless also, but I have it setup to be wired tops out at 5 mbps. My 5 ghz is faster mainly due to no other 5 ghz traffic in my neighborhood (RV resort).

16. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    1 Gbps wired client will be 10x faster then any WiFi connection

17. TheGrove

TheGrove AllStar

Jan 9, 2007
    Yes, but his wired connection terminates in a wireless link to a hotspot. So in his case he is going to be "wireless" no matter how he is connected. The difference is in the wireless band he is using. The "wired" connection terminates in a wireless band that is shared by the campground and thus is slowed down. His "secured" connection is on a different band where he is the only one (or one of a very few) users so gets all of the bandwidth. This is why he needed to change how he was connected to the internet.

Good to see that unplugging and rebooting got him going the way he wanted.

reubenray likes this.
  18. Rush1971

Rush1971 New Member

Mar 18, 2019
    I know this seems resolved but I think I know why it behaves this way. Your Hopper can only have a single IP address. One is assigned when you plug the Ethernet into the machine. Then, when you try to connect via wireless, it essentially is asking for another IP address. It disables the wireless and keeps the Ethernet. Once you unplug the Ethernet, then the wireless provides the IP address. It’s by design.

19. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    Nope. Network interfaces [IF] and IP stack programs working differently - each IF have separate process of obtaining own IP via DHCP, or it is YOUR responsibility to set different IPs manually if you wish do that.

20. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    I am looking forward to your instructions on how to set the IP on a DISH hopper through the receiver's UI. Especially the part where you can set the interfaces to separate IPs. :)

thomasjk likes this.