Hopper 3 with 2 Access Points?

Discussion in 'Hopper System Support Forum' started by newbie2021, Apr 17, 2021.

1. newbie2021

newbie2021 New Member

Apr 17, 2021
    Have Hopper 3, one access point, and 3 wireless joeys.
    I have to move the accesss point 20' away with a long ethernet cable because of stone walls. two joeys work fine.. other one keeps stuttering - it's on the far side of another stone wall

Can I install a second access point for the third joey to give better signal ?
    would I use a ethernet switch on the back of the hopper and connect each access point to that.. then how would I configure the second point and the jthird joey?

2. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    E.Mdtrn Sea
    try to install second AP in Bridge mode, if it support it
    it will connect to your first AP and serve Wi-Fi devices in own area as it they are on same network

3. scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Kansas City KS
    This is exactly what the new mesh systems do. As long as the IP addresses are on the same network, it should work. Using a nonwireless Joey through ethernet would probably work better (again on the same IP network).

4. newbie2021

newbie2021 New Member

Apr 17, 2021
    The house HAS a mesh system, but it's not available to the Joeys.. - the Hopper creates a proprietary closed wifi system that only the access point/joeys can connect to. If I wanted a nonwireless Joey, I would have installed it in the beginning.. that's not an option either.

5. scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Kansas City KS
    Why don't you look at Ethernet over Powerline adapters ? They will work - I have my Hopper2 on one connected to the rest of my network.

6. newbie2021

newbie2021 New Member

Apr 17, 2021
    because I have a wireless joey - and intend to keep it.
    If you can't assist with my original post, please stop trying to get me to change things

7. mke

mke Member

Sep 8, 2015
    If you are useing charter internet its would cause issues. Dish support had told me this.i swithched to frontier and problem vanished with half the speed i had with charter

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

8. scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Kansas City KS
    I'm just trying to get you so you can use your equipment successfully. Just because what you have currently doesn't work doesn't mean other solutions are not valid.

9. newbie2021

newbie2021 New Member

Apr 17, 2021
    has nothing to do with my internet - the wireless joeys are on a proprietory wifi from Dish Hopper - NOT on regular internet service. the Access point supplies the 5g signal specific to the dishnetwork network. Two of the joey's work fine.. third one stutters becuase it's on far side of stone wall
    the ONLY solution I am asking about is how to bridge a Dish Access point...

10. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    E.Mdtrn Sea
    nobody did that before
    so, you're the pioneer - you will teach us after you'll finish the process

11. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Gold Club DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
  12. scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Kansas City KS
    And attitudes / answers like THAT are more likely to discourage people from answering any questions AT ALL.

Have a good life..

13. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    E.Mdtrn Sea
    no need to put down a newbie here, tsk tsk tsk

tecnicoloco likes this.