Hopper 3 with Sling can't read EHDs from VIP622

Discussion in 'Hopper System Support Forum' started by Pontiffp, Jul 7, 2017.

1. Jul 7, 2017 #1 of 22
    Pontiffp

Pontiffp New Member

Oct 8, 2004
    I have 4 EHDs from my 622 with rare content that I'd like to retain access to. After hours trying everything with several tech support people (and a replacement Hopper 3), I was finally told that they are incompatible formats.....(!) The Hopper shows the percentage of the EHD that has been filled, but it displays no content.

A tech today told me that I could format a new EHD with the Hopper 3, then copy the content from a 622 EHD to the new Hopper EHD on my Windows 10 PC. He consulted with senior techs before stating that this will work.

As I suspected, Windows sees no content on the full 622 EHDs, because of the proprietary format used by Dish.

Does anyone have any suggestions that would facilitate this transfer? Other ideas?
    Thanks in advance,
    Paul

2. Jul 8, 2017 #2 of 22
    P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    please use Search here in dish H3 forum and find already asked many time your question

3. Jul 8, 2017 #3 of 22
    camo

camo Godfather

Apr 15, 2010
    As long as they are on same account the 622 and H3 EHD's are compatible.

Attached Files:

4. Jul 8, 2017 #4 of 22
    scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Kansas City KS
    If the OP had one account with the 622, then dropped it for some reason, then got a new account with the Hopper - yep - it won't be able to read them.

Something to think about for those who change providers for "new subscriber rates".

5. Jul 8, 2017 #5 of 22
    camo

camo Godfather

Apr 15, 2010
    Exactly what I'm thinking.

6. Jul 8, 2017 #6 of 22
    Pontiffp

Pontiffp New Member

Oct 8, 2004
    Thanks for the replies. I did search at length before posting, but didn't find anything helpful.

I'm a 19-year Dish subscriber, and haven't changed accounts. (I believe the installer deactivated my 622 before activating the Hopper 3.)

The Dish CSA and 2 techs told me they were compatible. A senior tech and a Dish Forum employee told me they are not compatible. If they are compatible, can someone tell that to my Hopper?

The last thing I could think of to try was to transfer recordings on 1 EHD back to my 622, erase the formatting of the EHD using my PC, and reformatting to the new format using the Hopper 3. Surprisingly, the 622 was able ignore the "new format" to transfer a program to the EHD. Unfortunately, the Hopper now sees 1% of the EHD used, but doesn't show any content.

Although 2 Dish techs told me that the 622 and Hopper use different proprietary Formats, they might just have different encryption algorithms.

Any other thoughts?

Last edited: Jul 8, 2017
  7. Jul 8, 2017 #7 of 22
    P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    - EHD activation linked to your ACCOUNT
    - EHD compatibility POSTED above
    - WE cannot TALK to your H3 ;)
    - don't waste your time with the your "procedure" - format and encryption (it's transport stream encryption, from satellite - common for ALL dish devices) of EHD is the SAME for DVRs from a post/table above
    - I'm really can't believe you didn't find the same info what I'm posting, actually re-posting now :(

8. Jul 8, 2017 #8 of 22
    Pontiffp

Pontiffp New Member

Oct 8, 2004
    Hi P Smith,

I know the chart shows, and several techs told me, they're compatible, but, since I haven't changed my account, what are you telling me I should do?

A Dish tech suggested doing my "experiment" backing up the content to my PC, but since that didn't work, I tried using just the DVRs. I'm amazed at how none of the techs seem to be on the same page (to be polite).

Last edited: Jul 8, 2017
  9. Jul 8, 2017 #9 of 22
    scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Kansas City KS
    I would reactivate my 622 and see if it still can see the recorded content. If it can't - it the account thing. However - a dish may be an issue, as well as convincing Dish to let you activate both on one account at the same time.

10. Pontiffp

Pontiffp New Member

Oct 8, 2004
    Hi Scooper,
    My deactivated 622 works great with the EHDs. Unfortunately, everyone I've talked to at Dish refused to let me keep it, or even buy it. They told me I could buy a refurb from their local retailer. Buying a 10 yr old DVR for $200 seems a bit much as a work-around for Dish's latest buggy firmware update.

11. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    Thinking logically [as EE and IT guy], IMO it is a quirk in H3 FW; hopefully temporary;
    my reasoning:
    a) 622 was on the same account as H3 now
    b) account's DVR feature wasn't turned off when they remove 622 then add H3 as the other part of account [do maintenance an equipment subset of the account]
    c) deactivated 622 still play from the EHDs
    d) H3 indeed using own DVR function just fine
    e) H3 does see the EHDs as full of recordings, because free space is correct

I would try to
    • reboot the bastard [H3], perhaps a few times,
    • would try using different USB ports on it, would try to replace SATA-USB enclosures while keep 622's HDDs intact
    • [geek approach] read logs from H3 main HDD, to see if there any file system [EXT4] errors related to 622's EHDs or/and using Linux do same - mount, fsck, etc

12. Pontiffp

Pontiffp New Member

Oct 8, 2004
    Hi P Smith,
    Thanks. I like your line of thinking. I have rebooted twice (and twice with the previous H3). I've been doing it with the EHD turned off. I'll try again leaving it spinning.
    I've also switched the USB ports on both H3s, and tried different cables and enclosures.
    The "geek approach" sounds like it's beyond my capabilities.

13. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    For fun... try formatting a hard drive with the Hopper 3... then transferring something to it from the Hopper 3. See if the Hopper 3 can see that program on the EHD... then see if the 622 can see that program as well.

There have been issues with Hoppers and EHD access... sometimes glitchy and not recognizing things that are there or not even recognizing an EHD at all. My money is on the Hopper being the problem and not your EHDs.

14. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    yeah, that would be valuable test

15. Pontiffp

Pontiffp New Member

Oct 8, 2004
    Thanks, Stewart, for that suggestion. I transferred a recording from the H3 DVR to the H3 formatted EHD. It's not visible on the H3, but it is on my 622.

This is my 2nd H3, with the same issue, so I'm guessing it's firmware related as opposed to hardware. How often do they send out FW updates? Do you know of a good avenue to encourage Dish to work on this glitch?

16. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    pretty much irregular process

usually people posting about it when they got new FW or discovering its presence by menu select

17. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    Such avenue does not exist in our Universe.

Blowgun likes this.
  18. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    It seems like a lot of people need to complain to Dish before things get traction... and with reports like this still surfacing, I can only assume that not many people are complaining... which leads me to wonder if there just aren't that many users actually using EHDs with their Dish DVRs? I would have thought it would be a high enough number for them to get a steady stream of complaints... but the way it seems to play out is as though they seem surprised that the feature is there still, then surprised that it is broken.

19. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    you should knew how dish responding to our complains ... they do middle finger figure silently :(

20. RBA

RBA Well-Known Member

Apr 14, 2013
    TEXAS
    Please it is DISH Not work.