1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hopper and Joey question

Discussion in 'Hopper System Support Forum' started by cowboy56, Aug 13, 2012.

1. cowboy56

cowboy56 Cool Member

Nov 17, 2010
    We have had Dish for about 2 years using a HD DVR 612 in the family room and a HD DVR 722 for the living room and bedroom. I recently replaced the small 20" TV in the bedroom with 43" Samsung and the SD picture quality isn't even close to the HD signal in the living room. Dish has offered me the Hopper and Joey's to replace the 612 and 722 receivers for $100.
    Is this something I should do or does DirectTV have something better?

2. strikes2k

strikes2k AllStar

Dec 9, 2008
    I swapped out a 722 for a Hopper and Joeys. The Hopper system blows away the 722, especially in a multi HD TV environment. I'm so glad to finally have HD in my bedroom and I went out and bought an HD TV for my office after getting the Joey.

I've never had DirecTV but all I read about is how horrible their receivers are. But, as I said, no first hand knowledge there. Can't imagine they're better than a Joey/Hopper setup.

3. garys

garys Hall Of Fame

Nov 4, 2005
    I'd PM a DIRT member to see if he can get you a better deal on the Hopper.

4. cowboy56

cowboy56 Cool Member

Nov 17, 2010
    Well, maybe the Hopper won't work for me after all. I spoke with Dish after reading more threads and apparently the Joey only has an HDMI output for HD and my family room TV is a 2005 Mitz that only has a component available.
    It does have a DVI, however I'm using that for an Apple TV with a DVI/HDMI adapter. If they make an HDMI/Component adapter that works, I might be willing to try that. They also said that I cannot use my 612 receiver independent of the Hopper for whatever reason.

5. garys

garys Hall Of Fame

Nov 4, 2005
    Is there a reason you cannot put a Hopper (which does have component connections) in the family room and put the Joey in another area?

6. cowboy56

cowboy56 Cool Member

Nov 17, 2010
    Thank You.
    I thought about that as soon as I read the specs on the Hopper.
    Dish also said I could keep the 612 and 722 and add another 612 to the bedroom for another $10 a month (and of course another 24 month contract)
    I'm real content with my present system and programing, so maybe that's the way to go. Does the Hopper give any better picture quality? Or what's the main advantage? I personally like having my DVR content on my own receiver without having to scroll through all with my wife's recordings.

7. garys

garys Hall Of Fame

Nov 4, 2005
    PQ is the same, it's the other features that make it attractive. Prime Time Any Time, being able to view recording on all tv's connected (it's viewing a recording from the 612 on the 722. All Hopper/Joeys have HDMI outputs. Inclusion of apps. Faster guide. I'm sure there are more.

8. cowboy56

cowboy56 Cool Member

Nov 17, 2010
    It's a real shame that I can't get a straight answer or sales presentation from Dish Network regarding their products. I spoke with about 6 representatives today and got a different answer from each one. They obviously are not trained in their products and are only after the sale.
    Their scripted presenatation with their Indian accent makes it even more frustrating.

9. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    You don't need spend time with them - just read all posts in the dedicated forum ;).