Hopper does not see my wireless network

Discussion in 'Hopper System Support Forum' started by renbutler, Aug 17, 2020.

1. renbutler

renbutler Godfather

Oct 17, 2008
    My AT&T internet is working fine. In fact, that's how I am posting this right now.

The Hopper detects the wireless network with a pretty good signal on the Wi-Fi Setup Wizard, but after entering the password, I receive an indication of Router Not Detected. I guarantee I'm entering the wifi password correctly, as I've done it multiple times.

The Hopper and Joey are communicating without issue.

I tried the main router and the dlink extender that Dish installed for free. No connection either way.

Ideas?

2. scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Kansas City KS
    This is why I prefer hard wired connections. If your Hopper is not in a good spot to do ethernet , look into an Ethernet over powerline bridge. One device at your router, and one at your Hopper

The Hopper and Joey are probably communicating over the Coax if you don't have a Wireless Joey.

3. renbutler

renbutler Godfather

Oct 17, 2008
    But why would it work fine for six months and then just stop?

The Joey is wireless. I just can't use apps or on-demand on the Hopper.

4. scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Kansas City KS
    So you have a Hopper and a wireless Joey. Is there another device that is doing the wireless connection to the Joey ? Or are they both just connecting to your router ?

5. strikes2k

strikes2k AllStar

Dec 9, 2008
    Wireless joeys communicate on their own network. They don't use your existing home wi-fi network.

6. scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Kansas City KS
    That was sort of the point I was trying to make to the OP.

7. Tom S

Tom S New Member

Nov 14, 2020
    As already noted, the Joey/Hopper wireless is separate from your Internet wireless. In fact, there is a separate wireless access point (WAP) box connected by cable to the Hopper that handles the Joey wireless. When my Hopper was installed the wireless connection was weak and I had to buy a Linksys Velop whole house wifi (the installer had it) to make it work, even though the old router worked fine with other devices.
    https://www.walmart.com/ip/Linksys-...=112550106&wl11=online&wl12=151147411&veh=sem