hopper dvd trnasfer

Discussion in 'Hopper System Support Forum' started by tcpuccio1, Mar 12, 2020.

1. tcpuccio1

tcpuccio1 New Member

May 13, 2012
    I have a new receiver to replace a defective one on the way I don't want to buy a hard drive to transfer the files from one to the other. will hooking them together with an ethernet cable work for file transfer from one to the other? I don't have a lot of recording maybe 30 shows/movies I don't care if it take a long time either.... If this will work I see how to make it send files will the replacement just sit there and chill and allow the files to be dumped into it or is there some kind of a special procedure?

2. scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Kansas City KS
    We KNOW the external harddrive will work, and you don't even need to move them onto the replacement Hopper - you can play right from the external drive.

Edit -
    Goto Dish Diagnostics, Tools, and see if you have "Restore recordings". It says it can retrieve your recordings from another Hopper.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2020
    tcpuccio1 likes this.
  3. tcpuccio1

tcpuccio1 New Member

May 13, 2012
    all my recording are there I want to transfer them to a replacement receiver.
    can I Daisey chain 2 hoppers tougher with an ethernet cable?

4. scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Kansas City KS
    Well, did you try it yet ?

5. tcpuccio1

tcpuccio1 New Member

May 13, 2012
    Yes I got it all working. The new Hopper "seems" top be working fine 3 days now and none of the joey's have glitched and I was able to transfer all of the recordings from the "OLD" hopper to the replacement hopper it took though the night to transfer all the recording over Via Ethernet cable 65 recording in all and they all made the transfer. besides the time it took it was really pretty easy. What grinds my gears is it took 2 service calls and multiple phone calls to get to the bottom of the problem which I was pretty much sure from the get go it was the hopper was bad. I got a complete new system last November and they shipped me a reman hopper. they give you all you want for free to start out but it's like pulling impacted teeth to get them to replace defective equipment and then they give you "used" stuff. I just hope the reman facility does good work only time will tell I guess.