Hopper, EHD, need activation to move to 2nd hopper?

Discussion in 'Hopper System Support Forum' started by Ferguson, Feb 5, 2015.

1. Ferguson

Ferguson Cool Member

Jul 25, 2006
    I have two hoppers.

One appears to be failing (lots of hangs, pixelation, etc. on playbacks as well as live tv). I have a ton of recordings on its internal drive.

I wanted to save these off, if possible, before calling Dish as I suspect they will send out a replacement.

I have never activated an EHD on my account.

On a whim I plugged one in, formatted, and started transferring programs. I expected to be stopped and told I needed to activate, but all it says is something like "9 hours remaining".

Is it working?

Should I call and have it activated first? Does that fact it appears to be running mean I can (perhaps) transfer to and/or from but not watch without activation?

I would pay the $40 if needed, but I ONLY need the EHD to do a transfer to the new hopper (if they send one), and/or to my other hopper. Is the activation needed for that use?

Is it strange that it is working, or is that normal and I'll be stopped later?

2. patmurphey

patmurphey Godfather

Dec 21, 2006
    It's working and all you have to do is connect it to the other Hopper to see it there. No activation required. I do recommend that you just play the recordings from the EHD - very easy to do with all trick play options available. Some, in the past have had trouble transferring from the EHD to the Hopper. I have not, but it is just as easy to play from the EHD. If you get a replacement for the first Hopper, you can just reconnect the EHD to that one.

3. RBA

RBA Well-Known Member

Apr 14, 2013
    TEXAS
    The 211 is the only receiver currently to need activation of the hard drive and that costs $40.

4. Ferguson

Ferguson Cool Member

Jul 25, 2006
    Thanks.

Looks to be about half copied, so will call this evening if the receiver is still acting up. Just lots of freeze-ups. Almost like a computer that had a few hung processes and no more processing ability, or disk errors hanging. But nothing showing up anywhere. Just hope it keeps running for 4 hours. :)

5. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    EHD activation has never been required on the Hopper. They stopped requiring it for the ViP DVRs several years ago.