1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hopper Freezing

Discussion in 'Hopper System Support Forum' started by hd_newbie, Jul 30, 2012.

1. hd_newbie

hd_newbie New Member

Apr 7, 2012
    I am experiencing a minor but annoying problem with my Hopper. My Hopper intermittently gets into the Stand By mode and freezes. At that point it does not respond to any remote commands. I tried shutting down from the power button but even that is irresponsive. It gets back to normal when I plug from power and then plug it back.

I called Technical Support and they told it was a defective unit and they would send me a replacement. Did anyone else have a similar problem.

I have a Logitech Revue connected to my Hopper. I know that Hopper does not officially support Revue. Can Revue be causing this issue?

2. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    If you suggest it's Revue, then remove it and observe h2k behavior next few days.

3. 4HiMarks

4HiMarks Hall Of Fame

Jan 21, 2004
    Laurel, MD
    My Hopper was frozen when I returned from vacation yesterday. It seems to have recorded timers though.

4. Aug 1, 2012 #4 of 56
    olguy

olguy Hall Of Fame

Jan 9, 2006
    Dish is sending me another Hopper for the freezing problem.

5. Aug 1, 2012 #5 of 56
    bigdog9586

bigdog9586 Legend

Jan 17, 2008
    I think it's the latest software. Both of mine has frozen for no reason. Though only once each but never before current update.

6. Aug 1, 2012 #6 of 56
    P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    Did you try cold reboot after update ? Not reset [RBR].

7. Aug 2, 2012 #7 of 56
    olguy

olguy Hall Of Fame

Jan 9, 2006
    Mine was freezing on the previous update. It continued to freeze with the current update. And shades of the 922 the replacement I activated last night froze today. Power cord reset is all they would respond to. A tech will be here Tuesday.

8. Aug 2, 2012 #8 of 56
    hd_newbie

hd_newbie New Member

Apr 7, 2012
    So then it sounds like a known issue. I just received a new hopper after I called Support. However, I prefer not to do the replacement if the problem is not related to the DVR.

9. Aug 2, 2012 #9 of 56
    P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    I did install (see main long thread here) small fan with bigger heat-sink onto CPU and have no freezes anymore. Disclaimer - it's owned DVR.

10. hd_newbie

hd_newbie New Member

Apr 7, 2012
    I placed my revue and Sling on top of Hopper since they are both low profile. Is that a bad idea?

11. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    I wouldn't - the h2k is hot and your gadgets will be 'cooking' too.

12. tommiet

tommiet Godfather

Dec 28, 2005
    Both my Hoppers are also freezing and DISH told me they know about the problem, but that was 5 weeks ago and still no fix.

13. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    You need to fix [cool the boxes] by yourself - they can't do that remotely.

14. hd_newbie

hd_newbie New Member

Apr 7, 2012
    I have not had this problem since.

15. tommiet

tommiet Godfather

Dec 28, 2005
    Both my Hoppers have had the freeze issue for almost 2 months. After 3 Hoppers and multiple service calls, DISH has agreed to cancel my 2 year commitment. After 9 years, I may jump ship. When the Hopper works, its great and I know its new and to expect issues, but when DISH throws in the towel, you know its over. They did not even offer to replace the Hoppers for the 4th time.

I do believe DISH expects customers to tolerate issues as the Hopper is new. Would you tolerate this if the new product was a computer, smart phone or car?

I do like my DISH Hopper, but with the frequent issues and DISH attitude (take it or leave it,) maybe its time just to jump to cable and buy my own DVR. Yes... Motorola and others (Tivo,) sell DVR's that my cable company supports. Add a cable card to the Tivo DRV and I have a 4 channel whole house DVR. No need to multiple boxes.

I'm not trashing DISH... Just have high expectations for my $150.00 a month.

16. patmurphey

patmurphey Godfather

Dec 21, 2006
    There is something else going on in your setup. Hoppers work just fine for most of us, after 3 of them, it's not likely that the Hopper is the problem. Too bad the service techs sent to you can't figure it out.

17. tommiet

tommiet Godfather

Dec 28, 2005
    DISH admits to the freeze issue as it happened after a software update. With both doing the same thing, I don't think its a wiring issue.

18. patmurphey

patmurphey Godfather

Dec 21, 2006
    Doesn't happen to most of us, so something else is going on.

19. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    If I would be a mind reader as garys, I would believe that part means "my family", perhaps a few persons.

20. patmurphey

patmurphey Godfather

Dec 21, 2006
    You are suggesting that this problem is widespread? I don't think so. That's why I asked Ray to clarify in the other thread.