Hopper Hard Drive Question

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by mark77, May 15, 2019.

1. mark77

mark77 New Member

May 15, 2019
    Hello everyone,

So, I've looked up the official info (what little Dish gives) regarding external hard drives for the Hopper.

All they really tell you is:- Drives utilizing flash memory won't work with their system (no SSDs or flash drives)Sarkari Result

- Drives must be powered independently of the USB (this is generally pretty uncommon now days, so you're either talking a specific drive, no doubt with a high price tag or the idea I am inquiring about below)

- Drive Min/Max 320GB/2.0TB data sizes (Ouch, talk about dated drive-read sizes. Was this thing coded by high schoolers back in the early 2000s?)

It's worth noting that according to Dish, a 2.0TB translates to ~200hrs of their HD video. This means you're looking at about 10.24GB/hr or 175MB/min. If I did my math/guesstimation right, that file size for HD video quality means a bitrate of 23.333mbps (that's a very specific and highly-unusual/custom bitrate, because virtually every codec uses multiples of 5mbps, so I'm not 100% sure about it).

Edit - On further review, they ambiguously say a 2TB drive provides "over 200 hours" of HD video. If they go by standard video encoding, you're looking at a tiny hair over 233 hours of video, at about 8.79GB/hr or 150MB/min and a bitrate of 20mbps. But who knows.

-

My question is, can I use an internal 3.5" HDD in a SATA-to-USB 3.1 or USB 3.0 Drive Dock with an independent power supply in place of an external drive?It should work, in theory at least, as that would have it's own wall socket power cable, no flash memory, and (if you get something like a Western Digital Red HDD) it could use a drive specifically designed to run for years 24/7/365 (low heat and a bit more impact resistant than normal internal drives).

The problem is: Dish doesn't seem to want to communicate with their customers, so finding this info online is damn-near impossible.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you!

Last edited: May 21, 2019
  2. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    yes... the theme is very old and 1000s posts written here

3. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    take WD Purple ;)

4. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    I would read here ... perhaps Search could help if it's still giving out something relevant to your keywords
    I recal I posted a lot about EHD for dish DVRs... use all accumulated knowledge from the forums

5. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    it's on a tip of your fingers ;)

6. scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Kansas City KS
    As long as it's an independently powered USB2 compatible hard drive, between the sizes you found - it will work.

7. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    I recall I used 3TB for H2000

8. NYDutch

NYDutch DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Dec 28, 2013
    Did it format to only 2TB as others using larger drives have reported?

9. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    It was very awkward partitioning: three primer partitions 500 GB each, and one extended with sub-partitions 500 GB and 400+ GB... I recall I posted the info here.

NYDutch likes this.