Hopper Hook Up

Discussion in 'Hopper System Support Forum' started by ldarin, Mar 25, 2014.

1. ldarin

ldarin New Member

May 24, 2004
    Getting ready to order Hopper, Joey & Super Joey and have a question. We have Uverse phone/internet service and modem is on other side of house where Hopper will be located. I heard that to get the best out the of the Hopper (TV Everywhere, Blockbuster@Home, etc), it should be directly connected to the Modem via a direct Ethernet connection other than by wireless. Is this true? Do I insist that the installer hard wire the modem?

2. david_jr

david_jr Godfather

Dec 10, 2006
    I have read that folks with Hopper connected by wirless have had few problems. The only thing is wireless is always more susceptible to interference than a direct hard line connection. That is why direct connection is best. Many use wireless however with few if any problems. It does not have to be connected to the modem, a hard wired connection to the router should be just as good. Your Joeys should get internet from the Hopper through bridging, which you would enable in the Hopper settings.

3. thomasjk

thomasjk Legend

Jan 10, 2006
  4. RASCAL01

RASCAL01 Godfather

Aug 1, 2006
    Mine is connected to the Joey since that is where the modem is. Internet is sent back up the cable to both Hoppers.

5. Jun 2, 2014 #5 of 16
    lonerwulf

lonerwulf Mentor

Jul 9, 2012
    If u insist on having it hard wired you will have to have modem and hopper or Joey using hic near each other

6. Jun 3, 2014 #6 of 16
    Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    The Hopper Internet Connector (HIC) shouldn't be necessary anymore. It can be used, but I can't think of a configuration any longer that would require it.

7. Jun 3, 2014 #7 of 16
    fudpucker

fudpucker Godfather

Jul 23, 2007
    NW Iowa
    I plan on upgrading to two Hoppers and a Joey (I'm behind in my research, haven't heard of a Super Joey!) - if one of the Hoppers has a direct connection to the router, does that help in any way the other Hopper?

8. Jun 3, 2014 #8 of 16
    Stewart Vernon

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    The Hoppers have a bridging option that will share the internet connection to another Hopper and Joeys over the MoCA network. You just need to connect one Hopper to the internet, and the rest will share that internet connection.

9. Jun 5, 2014 #9 of 16
    fudpucker

fudpucker Godfather

Jul 23, 2007
    NW Iowa
    Cool, one will be sitting right next to my cable modem and router downstairs, the other Hopper and Joey or Super Joey (not sure what all the Super Joey offers but why get a Joey if there's a SUPER Joey! LOL!) will be upstairs.

10. thomasjk

thomasjk Legend

Jan 10, 2006
    Super Joey adds two tuners. You can only have a SJ with a one Hopper configuration.

11. fudpucker

fudpucker Godfather

Jul 23, 2007
    NW Iowa
    Why is this? Is it hardware or just an arbitrary Dish decision? I know the first time I approached Dish (a while back) about wanting to upgrade my 3 receivers to a Hopper w/ Sling, a Hopper, and a Joey they said no, you can only have one Hopper and two Joeys. However, local installers said they could install what I wanted no problem.

12. Stewart Vernon

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    You can either have 2 Hoppers or 1 Hopper + 1 Super Joey on a node. It is a technical limitation.

I'm sure Dish would limit anyway, as they usually do, but this is a technical limitation.

13. thomasjk

thomasjk Legend

Jan 10, 2006
    Its a bandwidth limitation on the MOCA circuit.

14. fudpucker

fudpucker Godfather

Jul 23, 2007
    NW Iowa
    Ah, cool, thanks. I'll just go for a Hopper w/sling, Hopper, and a regular Joey. Just waiting to paint the room we're moving into as our new den to call for the install. SO tired of watching recorded shows on our 722 and 612s and losing the last minute or 30 seconds of a show - my understanding is the primetime recordings on the Hoppers will catch entire shows even when saved.

15. thomasjk

thomasjk Legend

Jan 10, 2006
    That's true.

16. david_jr

david_jr Godfather

Dec 10, 2006
    You will love PTAT and Auto Hop!!