Hopper Issue: Why dd switching to a hopper account kill the dual tuner receiver in my garage.

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by ckbrownla, Jul 24, 2018.

1. ckbrownla

ckbrownla New Member

Jul 24, 2018
    I do not understand why a dual tuner receiver that I have in my camp died when I had Dish install a hopper and joey system at my home. I did have the old dual tuner receiver w/o DVR in my house originally. Later I bought a HD dual tuner receiver w/DVR and had it installed at my home. I moved the old dual tuner receiver w/o DVR to my camp and installed it and the LNB dish that was replaced when the new HD dual tuner receiver w/DVR was installed. I turned the receiver on it worked just fine. This month I had the hopper system installed in my house. When I went to my camp the dual tuner receiver w/o DVR flashed a couple of times and went black. I still have a single tuner receiver at my home and it works just fine. I do not understand why the old dual tuner receiver w/o DVR was deactivated. Any ideas?

2. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Going black seems to be strange. I'd expect that a deactivated receiver would show an error screen when trying to tune channels. Have you contacted DISH to see if the receiver is still on your account?

DISH allows one regular receiver on accounts with Hoppers ... which explains why your single receiver at home would still be on the account. But I'd expect your other receivers to be deactivated ... not die.

3. scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Kansas City KS
    I'd agree with James - try taking your receiver from home to the camp and see if it works.

You may also be hit by the "multiple sites / single account" issue - that is a no-no per the terms of your subscription.

4. Jim5506

Jim5506 Hall Of Fame

Jun 7, 2004
    That old receiver would be a VIP222, correct? I believe the only VIP receivers allowed on a Hopper system are the 211 series and the new Wally.

5. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    dish must publish the rules, we don't need to guess or relay on different feeling of different members ...

6. RBA

RBA Well-Known Member

Apr 14, 2013
    TEXAS
    "No VIP receivers" is not a new rule. Since Hoppers were introduced no other receiver except the 211 and now the Wally has been allowed to share an account with a Hopper.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2018
  7. dishrich

dishrich Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2002
    And actually you can have up to two 211's &/or Wally's on a Hopper account...

8. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    really ?

9. scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Kansas City KS
    yes, really - although in a technical sense, there is no reason to not permit it on a Hopper 1 or Hopper2 system. If he would put the camp receiver on it's own account (maybe a Flex account), it would probably work again.

10. Jim5506

Jim5506 Hall Of Fame

Jun 7, 2004
    Dish considers the Hopper/Joey combination to be the only system you need in your house. The addition of VIP211(s) is allowed for tailgating and such and Dish knows that you only need one tuner for tailgating, therefore if your account has a Hopper on it, the computer system automatically turns off all 222's, 621's 722's, etc.

Without special dispensation from who knows who the VIP222 will not be allowed on the same account with a Hopper.

When the Hopper first came out, even the VIP211 was not allowed on the same account.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2018
    tampa8 likes this.
  11. ckbrownla

ckbrownla New Member

Jul 24, 2018
    Will a 211Z work on a 1000.4 DPP Dish? How many purchased receivers can you get on your account?

12. ckbrownla

ckbrownla New Member

Jul 24, 2018
    So I can not add a purchased VIP211 receiver to my system to watch my sat in my garage? Or a second purchased VIP211 to watch my sat in my office in my garage? Is that correct?

13. scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Kansas City KS
    Yes , the VIP 211Z will work on a 1000.4 DPP dish. You need to have an output port available for the 211Z.

Don't know how many purchased receivers you can have per account.

You should be able to have one VIP211 series / Wally for your garage, and move that back and forth to your camp.

If you want to use any other receivers, you would need a separate account for them. Not necessarily a separate dish - just a separate account.

14. ckbrownla

ckbrownla New Member

Jul 24, 2018
    So I can not add a purchased VIP211 receiver to my system to watch my sat in my garage? Or a second purchased VIP211 to watch my sat in my office in my garage? Is that correct?

15. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    I would call CSR, your account/history may be in very good condition and they will allow you to activate second 211
    if not - sell it at ebay or craigslist

16. VDP07

VDP07 Godfather

Feb 22, 2006
    Up to 2 purchased 211/Wally receivers are allowed per Hopper account.

17. ckbrownla

ckbrownla New Member

Jul 24, 2018
    Good Morning guys!!!!
    I have more information about the camp installation.
    From the the system info one screen, the existing receiver is a VIP222k. The disk is a DPP

1K.2, 1K.2(1), 1K.2(2), 1K.2(3).
    Do you want to see the VIP222k system info one screen?
    I had carried a VIP211z with him and attached it to the single cable from the dish. It did
    not work.
    The system info one screen on the 211Z shows no switches connected. Do you want to see the
    VIP211z system info one screen?
    The back of the 222k receiver has a DP Plus triplexer 175284 connected with cables going to
    the two sat signal inputs to the receiver.
    i tried all combinations and none of them gave any change in the system info one screen in the 211Z receiver.
    When the 221Z receiver is connected to the tailgater portable dish has the following system info one screen .
    The existing receiver is a VIP211z. The disk is a Mobile, Mobl(1), Mobl(2), Mobl(3).

I have photo images of the dish antenna, the system info one screens of the 222k, the 211z
    at mobile and the 211z at camp,
    the triplexer, the 3 head LNB and the 222k dish point screen. I can send them to you if
    needed.
    So why did the 211z not work with the 1K.2 dish? Would a 211k receiver work with the DPP
    1K.2 dish or does it need a DPP 1K.4 dish?

THANKS for taking the time and trouble to help with this.
    ckbrownla

18. scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Kansas City KS
    When you connect a different LNB/switch setup to a Dish receiver (any of them) - you need to do a "check switch" test. What you see for the menu depends on what software it uses for the GUI.

You will not need the triplexor for the 211.

The 211 should work with any LNB / switch that is approved for dish equipment.

19. ckbrownla

ckbrownla New Member

Jul 24, 2018
    Scooper, You are absolutely correct!!!! The Check Dish function took care of the problem. All please see below for better information.

Better prepared information Here:

Well I have photos of the System Info One from the original ViP222K that gives the following:
    Satellite: 119 110 129
    Signal Green Green Green
    Point Dish 119W with a Signal Strength of 50.

Device: DPP1K.2 1K.2(1), 1K.2(2), 1K.2(3)

A more specific question arises.
    As the disk is DPP1K.2 from the System Info One.
    He did connect the ViP211Z to the dish and used the Check Dish function to get
    the Receiver to connect to the Dish and it all worked out after a call to Dish to get a download hit sent to the receiver. All was well.
    He wants to connect a total of 4 receivers to the Dish.
    He has to add the following receivers, ViP211K or ViP211Z because of Dish's restrictions to his account .

What would I need to buy other than the ViP211(K)'s or (Z)'s to connect
    4 of the ViP211's to the 1K.2 dish? Such as a switch.

Also, am I correct in saying the main difference between the ViP211K and the ViP211Z is the OTA receiver hardware in the K version?

Last edited: Sep 26, 2018
  20. scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Kansas City KS
    for 4 211' s - Purchase a DPP44 switch, connect all 3 LNB connections (not the external dish one) to the inputs of the DPP44, then connect the 211's to the outputs of the DPP44. Do NOT connect to the 4 outputs that go to another switch. The power supply for the DPP44 MUST be connected to #1 (it can also be used for the 211).

K vs Z - I think so, also the Z may have a dual sat tuner (at least the Wallys do).