1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hopper/Joey or 3 individual 612 receivers

Discussion in 'Hopper System Support Forum' started by cowboy56, Aug 14, 2012.

1. cowboy56

cowboy56 Cool Member

Nov 17, 2010
    I'm wondering if there is an advantage using the Hopper/Joey's on 3 TV's vs using 3 individual HD DVR 612 receivers. We don't need anything too hi-tech, just want to watch some recorded shows on HD. We presently have a Dish 612 for the family room and a 722 for the living room and bedroom but need to upgrade the bedroom to HD. Trying to decide if I should just add another 612 to the bedroom or convert the whole house to the Hopper and Joey's.
    Is there any better HD content in using either system?

2. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    The biggest benefit is sharing. Two Hoppers and a Joey would provide six satellite tuners (similar to three 612s). PrimeTime Anywhere on one Hopper would provide all the PrimeTime shows potentially commercial free (next day). But the issue of "oh, I recorded that on the living room receiver" when you want to watch it elsewhere isn't a question.

One of the drawbacks is the sharing. If someone in another room deletes your content it is gone. Also you may have timer conflicts with whatever Hopper the Joey is connected to. And at this time there is no OTA tuner available for the Hopper.

I would not recommend one Hopper and two Joeys. That is fine if you don't watch one of the Joey TVs often but you will have viewing and recording conflicts.

3. Gone2Maui

Gone2Maui AllStar

Nov 23, 2005
    I thought the Hopper had only 3 tuners? So that if you are not invoking PTAT, you can only watch/record 3 different live feeds at the same time on all hopper and joeys.

4. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Three tuners per hopper, two hoppers is six tuners.

I do NOT recommend a single Hopper setup unless the Joeys will be only rarely used.