1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hopper on LAN only?

Discussion in 'Hopper System Support Forum' started by engineercarl, Sep 14, 2018.

1. engineercarl

engineercarl New Member

Sep 14, 2018
    California...
    I am envisioning a scenario where the main hopper unit and the dish will be located a fair distance from the house. I have solid 10Gb connectivity from this location to the aggregation router in the house.

Can the Hopper and associated Joeys live solely on a LAN? That means no coax or wifi whatsoever.

EC

2. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    nope;
    while you can find LNBF with fiberoptic output, the H/J cannot use it by many reasons, one of them a requirement of proprietary DPX/DPZ control protocol

3. engineercarl

engineercarl New Member

Sep 14, 2018
    California...

Not looking for a fiber optic feed from the LNB. The main receiver that will be connected to the dish will be co-located. Everything beyond that must be LAN.

4. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    LAN... RJ45 perhaps if using baluns on both ends of it and replacing RG6 from node to J

5. engineercarl

engineercarl New Member

Sep 14, 2018
    California...
    If Joey and Hoppers can communicate via wifi, then LAN should be a possibility...it's just a matter of transport medium unless either of them don't have an RJ45 on the back.

I just wonder if anyone has a system set up LAN only in their residence.

6. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    lets see if someone did that way ...

7. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Hopper to satellite dish must be cable. Regular Joeys to Hopper can be LAN (ethernet or Wi-Fi). Everything on the same network with the Hopper.

The downside is that the equipment will be sharing the data equipment with everything else on the LAN - but it works.

8. engineercarl

engineercarl New Member

Sep 14, 2018
    California...

Now someone's getting the picture. The Hopper and dish will be colocated in a 1RU NEMA shelter about 200' from the house. Because of everything else in the shelter, there will be 2x 10Gb fiber via LAG running back to the rest of the network. I was intending on establishing a VLAN just for the DISH equipment so the rest of the network can ignore it.