Hopper or Not to Hopper?

Discussion in 'Hopper System Support Forum' started by ggulch, Apr 11, 2017.

1. ggulch

ggulch Cool Member

Jul 25, 2007
    Long time Dish user. Currently running a pair of 722ks with many external hard drives (using docks) with programs segregated by various criteria. The 722s are switched to any of three TVs and a Matrox MX02 Mini using a Monoprice 4 x 4 matrix HDMI router. It's all worked fine for over 2 years. TVs are all 1080p with no current plans to go to 4K, but I won't rule that out down the road. I might add a 4th TV in another room in the next year or so. Coax and multiple Cat-6 runs to all current and probable future TV locations.

I have the OTA tuners for the 722s, but don't have them setup yet. Given where we live I need a 50 plus foot tower, rotor and high gain antenna to pull in stations from Austin, Waco, maybe Houston. Hopefully that'll go up in the next 6 months.

Finally, looking at the Hopper Forum I saw some threads that indicated there might be problems accessing HDs formatted on earlier DVRs. Most of these are 1 tb/7200 rpm drives. I really don't want to loose the programming on those HDs. Buying new docks isn't a big deal provided the DVR can read the file structure.

One thing I have discovered over the years is that 1 tb/7200 HDs offer much faster access than slower and/or larger drives.

What would I gain, if anything by having the 722s swapped for a Hopper/Joey setup?

RD

2. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    I would say one common point of failure and 4K support and small footprint clients for rest TVs and multiple (2, 3, 4 ?) EHDs support

3. patmurphey

patmurphey Godfather

Dec 21, 2006
    I have EHDs in use, formatted on 622s and 722s. They work fine with my Hopper3 and the 2 Hoppers I had before. Get a Hopper3 and never have a recording/watching conflict again, you'll never look back. Worrying about one point of failure is nonsense. Even with your 722s, failure means loss of recordings not transferred. You have OTA to your TV for the short time it takes to get a replacement. Failures are also rare...