Hopper OTA glitches

Discussion in 'DISH™ OTA Support and Discussion Forum' started by tcpuccio1, Dec 9, 2019.

1. Dec 9, 2019 #1 of 48
    tcpuccio1

tcpuccio1 New Member

May 13, 2012
    Brand new old dish customer. I had dish for 10 years fro. 2000/2010 switched to directv and now I am back. All new equipment I have a hopper and 4 Slave Joey . System works well but my ota buffers glitches pixilated very annoying. My ota is rock solid going into all of my tv’s I have it on all of them as a bad weather back up. It will be playing great and all the sudden it will glitch and I get a message on the screen signal lost and it says signal strength is weak and searching.. they it will go back to being ok. I have the dish adaptor the real deal not a knock. Off. I also have one from my old directv system does the same thing. What gives is the tuner weak in the hopper? Also is there a way to cut down on the delay for picture audio.. I have the hopper in the family room and a Joey in the kitchen and when and if the off chance they are on the same channel the echo is pretty bad I have to mute one of the tv’s. That does not happen that often but when it does it is bad. I know the Joey pulls tuning off the hopper is the reason for the delay....

2. Dec 9, 2019 #2 of 48
    scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Kansas City KS
    Only solution is to have a good OTA connection to the Dish OTA module as well.

3. Jim5506

Jim5506 Hall Of Fame

Jun 7, 2004
    There will always be a perceptible delay between the Hopper and the Joey due to the Hopper processing the signal into MOCA and the Joey processing the signal out.

It's physics and a faster processor might help but probably not.

4. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    I would investigate OTA RF signal for multipath condition...
    perhaps different OTA antenna, with/without amplifier, redirection … will help you

5. tcpuccio1

tcpuccio1 New Member

May 13, 2012
    I have an omnidirectional antenna it's old but it's been rock solid it picks up something like 35 stations so I have to think the signal is strong. it doesn't move it's mounted in my attic. I don't get why all the sudden it shows weak signal and then it's good. it will be good for 1 whole day and the next day it will do it every 10 minutes or so. really off when it's acting up I switch over to the TV tuner same station and it's completely fine. just really odd. I was thinking that the usb tuner is is just cheaply made???

6. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    I would start thinking about a life around you.
    You never know what kind of equipment begin works nearby... new building would reflect RF waves and bam! Multipath is here ...
    Think broadly

tcpuccio1 likes this.
  7. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Agreed. There are a lot of environmental conditions that can change from day to day. Not just the big permanent changes such as new buildings in or near the signal path, bur such things as the weather.

8. tcpuccio1

tcpuccio1 New Member

May 13, 2012
    I have had this antenna for ever it's an omnidiretinal antenna from radio shack mounted in my attic. it's works flawless even on an old picture tube TV. when it buffers/pixilated and screws up I can switch the input to TV tuner right away and I have a rock solid picture I find it had to believe it's a antenna issue and not the antenna dongle/usb thing or a software glitch in the receiver? I really like saving $12.00 a month on my service but the glitching is a drag when your taping something or watching a live TV show...

9. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    I would try to mount the antenna outside, at least temporary... to test better condition of OTA reception.

10. scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Kansas City KS
    Are you using a splitter on the TV outlet right before the Hopper's OTA dongle ? If so - there's your problem. Amp the signal enough to make up for the splitter (about 3-5 dB should do it.).

11. Jim5506

Jim5506 Hall Of Fame

Jun 7, 2004
    The symptoms you describe sound like multi-path, your omni-directional antenna is receiving the station from a direct and a reflected wave that confuses the tuner and it drops out. This was never a problem with analog TV but is a "feature" of ATSC.

tcpuccio1 likes this.
  12. tcpuccio1

tcpuccio1 New Member

May 13, 2012
    Yes there are 3 of them in line before the hopper they are all low signal loss one the antenna signal goes to 6 tv's in the house there are never more then 2 of them on at a time realy more then one. the omni directional antenna I have has an amplifier as part of the hook up but it's not labled the amount of gain it has. I may just take them out of the system and run it right from the amplifier right to the OTA dongle. along those same line of questioning I may be over due for an antenna what is a good brand that will not break the bank I am about 35 miles away from the signal local signal transmitters I get 35+ channles off this omni antenna I have now and I would want something that has the same performance and obviously not have to move it every time I change channels lastly the splitters I have are Brand name Regal back when I ran al the RG6 thoigh the house they got the best rating times and technology changes so what do I want?
    Thank you for the replies guys/Gals!

13. scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Kansas City KS
    Rather than change out antenna - FIRST I would rewire the OTA so everything is home run - come out the antennas amplifier output, to a n-way splitter (or a couple of them that give you the number of outlets you need), then a cable direct to each room / coax jack that you need an OTA signal at. You may need to put a distribution amp right before the splitter(s) to make up for splitter losses - the best thing is to keep the amount of amplifier gain to just barely cover distribution losses.

If you do decide to replace antenna, it will likely be more directional than what you have now. Hopefully the channels you watch are all in the same general direction and by placing a directional antenna outside, you can beat the multipath down.

The new cable should also be RG6. You may need a pre-amp (to duplicate the setup on the omni). You will probably need a compass and a pretty good idea where the channels are coming from - there are sites on the web that can help here (www.rabbitears.info is one).

dennispap and tcpuccio1 like this.
  14. tcpuccio1

tcpuccio1 New Member

May 13, 2012
    no to sound like a layman but an N-way splitter you mean N = amount of "out" ?
    Any preference to brand of splitter? I have a single run going to the receiver right now and I will see how it works I have been having an issue OTA first thing in the Am the last 2 days will see how it goes tomorrow. I do like these receivers VS the DirecTv Genie and slaves we had with directTV

15. scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Kansas City KS
    Exactly - say you have 4 locations where you have OTA tuners (TVs or on the Hopper) - , then N=4.
    Not really any brand preference - just whatever you can find should work. Finding 2,3,4 way is easy, others might be 6 or 8. You may have to use a 2 way out to two 4 or 6 way. This is when you wold want a distribution amp before the 2way.

16. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    I wouldn't push that high... RG-59 is adequate for OTA signals.

17. scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Kansas City KS
    No it isn't, especially considering his distance from the transmitters.

18. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    good antenna (perhaps with RF amplifier) is the must,
    not RG-6 ; it's real overkill for 35 miles distance;
    while the omnidirectional kind I would replace it to bowtie type with a reflector

19. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    No, thank you. I will stick with RG-6. Even though I am closer to my area's towers than he is to his. RG-6 is not excessive.

20. tcpuccio1

tcpuccio1 New Member

May 13, 2012
    All the cable in my house is rg6 I built the house and ran it int9 every room while it was still in studs. All the wall connectors are los loss with the blue insulator in them. Today it has been rock solid with jus5 a straight run. Will see if it stays that way. If a low gain loss splitter it not that important what about the amplifier any brand for that 3-5 DB is not that much extra push.. any model or brand? What about the antenna if i5 is good for now once it warms up I will venture up there to change it possibly I am outside of Buffalo ny i5 will no5 be warm again till May! Lol.