1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hopper reboot

Discussion in 'Hopper System Support Forum' started by tcatdbs, Aug 17, 2012.

1. tcatdbs

tcatdbs Icon

Jul 10, 2008
    Was watching a DVR program last night and it just "froze". No buttons were active, Joeys went out... after about 2 or 3 minutes the Hopper seems to reboot itself, like 2 or 3 times trying to get started... then went through its normal acquiring signal and all is fine. I assume this is what it does in the middle of the night to update, but this was at like 7:00 PM.

Could this be over heating? It's very well exposed on a very open shelf.

2. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
  3. Marlin Guy

Marlin Guy Hall Of Fame

Apr 8, 2009
    Mine did something like that when I had Prime Time Anytime enabled.
    It hasn't done it since I turned that off.

4. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    Perhaps during PTA session, all components (CPU, tuners, HDD, internal power converters) created excessive heat ?
    Did you try to enable PTA again, to check if it's the reason ?

5. intraknowareman

intraknowareman New Member

Jan 8, 2017
    I am on my third unit....keeps rebooting. Installer rewired entire path....same....talked with him after install repair and he stated that dish has a memo going around that it is virus related in their OS. It still reboots, finding that certain channels triger the reboot, and other actions such as recording a program and then changing channels to something else. Channels 122 SCI-FI, channel 105 USA and sometimes Bravo...on New years day, I wanted to watch the twilight zone marathon and the unit rebooted like ten times.

Customer support is clueless and say that it is a power problem in my house, I bought their surge suppresor and no change. If it is virus related I may have infected each of my units by transfering settings and recorded programs. I truely think it is a virus and it is on the harddrive, thus the recording issue when changing channels....but how this is related to Sci Fi etc I don't understand. I am planning on downgrading to the older hopper till they figure this out.