Hopper ruined my EHD?

Discussion in 'Hopper System Support Forum' started by Keniff, Jan 4, 2015.

1. Keniff

Keniff New Member

Nov 25, 2013
    I did a search before asking this, so forgive if this is redundant.

I plugged a USB powered EHD in to my Hopper. I knew you are supposed to use a powered one and I knew it would format the EHD. I didn’t think it would be irreversible. It seemed to work OK but the learned on here have told me not to risk it and go get an externally powered EHD.

So I unplugged the EHD and plugged it in to my computer. The computer saw it and loaded drivers...it's even showing up in the device manager.

But I cannot see or access it. It doesn’t show up in Windows Explorer at all.

[SIZE=11pt]Did I just ruin a brand new $100 2T EHD?[/SIZE]

2. lparsons21

lparsons21 Hall Of Fame

Mar 4, 2006
    Herrin, IL
    No, it is just formatted in a way that Windows can't deal with. Use disk management tool in the control panel and repatriation and format and you should be good to go.

1 person likes this.
  3. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    Your drive is not ruined. It just needs to be re-partitioned and formatted to something Windows can recognize. Use the disk management tool the same way you would for any other drive to do this.

4. Papa J

Papa J Legend

Nov 26, 2007
    An Apple computer can reformat it easily in windows format. It has been my experience that a Windows based computer will not see it and therefore cannot reformat it. An Apple computer doesn't care how it was previously formatted. It sees it and allows you to reformat it in Windows format easily and quickly.

5. toricred

toricred New Member

Feb 12, 2004
    Northern...
    Windows should be able to format it, but you would first need to delete all the partitions on it.

6. Papa J

Papa J Legend

Nov 26, 2007
    The I.T. person where I preveously worked told me you had to do the reformat on an Apple computer and said the Windows based computers could not do so. I am no expert but the I.T. Person is a very sharp guy. Please let us know how you resolve the issue.

7. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    The disk management tool in Windows will allow him to delete the existing partitions, then create new partitions and format them to a file format recognized by Windows. I love my iMac, but it doesn't do anything magical that any other PC cannot do in this situation as long as you know what you are doing and how to use the disk manager.

1 person likes this.
  8. Keniff

Keniff New Member

Nov 25, 2013