1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hopper w/Sling not hanging up phone line!

Discussion in 'Hopper System Support Forum' started by Antigreek, Mar 1, 2013.

1. Mar 1, 2013 #1 of 47
    Antigreek

Antigreek Cool Member

Feb 7, 2008
    Forgive me if this topic has been posted before. I did a quick search and didn't see anything:

I've noticed each morning when I get up the my phone line is "in use" meaning that the phone line is active and if anyone were to call me, all they get is a busy signal. The only way I know that our phone line is "in use" is a tiny green light on our answering machine/phone system. It took us about a week to realize that we weren't receiving any phone calls and only when a family member tried to call our home phone and got a busy signal (even though no one was using the phone) that we realized that each day our phone line was busy.

I tried troubleshooting everything to narrow the culprit and have determined that its my new Hopper w/Sling. I did by the way, attach a new phone line filter and phone cable to make sure they weren't causing the problem.

There is only one electronic device in our home that uses the phone line each night and thats our Hopper w/sling. I also determined that it was the Hopper w/sling because in the middle of the day, the Hw/s had a problem/glitch recognizing my external hard drive so I pushed and held the Power button for a moment to reset everything and guess what? When the Hw/s was done resetting and the signal was gained after several tests etc., our phone line was again "in use".

Anyone have any thoughts on this? I also have an ethernet cable running into my Hw/s so is the phone line redundant? Do I have to keep the phone line plugged into my Hw/s? If the only purpose to keep a phone line plugged in is for the Caller ID, then I guess the lesser of the 2 evils is to unplug it since I would rather have a clear phone line than the Caller ID (although its is convenient so see who is call in the TV).

Thank you for any help you can offer! :)

2. Mar 1, 2013 #2 of 47
    Jhon69

Jhon69 Hall Of Fame

Mar 27, 2006
    Central San...
    Phone line is only needed if you want Caller ID to display on the TV screen,as long as you have broadband internet connected you will be OK.

Let us know if after you disconnect the phone line if your problem is something else?.:welcome_s

Also if your phone line is connected and someone tries to call you,the modem on the Hopper with Sling is supposed to drop out and let it come through.

3. Mar 1, 2013 #3 of 47
    Antigreek

Antigreek Cool Member

Feb 7, 2008
    Thank you for the kind response!

Well I guess I will disconnect the phone line then because its more important to us to receive phone calls than it is to use the Caller ID.

I can tell you that the Hopper Modem isn't dropping out to let calls come through: We just had another relative call today asking who was on the phone all morning! :)

Thanks again!

4. Mar 1, 2013 #4 of 47
    LtMunst

LtMunst Hall Of Fame

Aug 24, 2005
    The internal modem is probably defective...you should have Dish replace your receiver.

5. Mar 1, 2013 #5 of 47
    356B

356B Icon

Oct 11, 2008
    Northern...
    Did you unplug the reciever? If not, unplug it for 30 seconds, plug back in, see if that fixes it.

6. Mar 1, 2013 #6 of 47
    Antigreek

Antigreek Cool Member

Feb 7, 2008
    I'll give unplugging the Hopper a try as well.

Thank you!

7. Mar 3, 2013 #7 of 47
    charlesrshell

charlesrshell AllStar

Feb 24, 2008
    O'Fallon,...
    I have noticed the same thing too since I had my Hopper install couple of days ago. The phone on my nite stand is an old AT&T hard wired model that has an in use red lite that blinks. Both times has been around 04:00 in the morning. No one there when I listen. Wonder if it could be one of my Hoppers!

8. Mar 3, 2013 #8 of 47
    Antigreek

Antigreek Cool Member

Feb 7, 2008
    I tried unplugging the Hopper w/Sling for 30 seconds like I was advised and when it came back on, reset, connected to the satellites etc., my phone line was busy once more. It is definitely my Hopper.

I just unplugged the phone line. I would rather give up the Caller ID (even though its quite handy) rather than miss any important phone calls.

I'm not really interested in calling Dish over a defective modem. This is my 3rd Hopper in 8 months and its a real hassle programming all of our timers/favorites, setting up all Preferences, installing etc. and so much more.

9. Mar 4, 2013 #9 of 47
    charlesrshell

charlesrshell AllStar

Feb 24, 2008
    O'Fallon,...
    Well, I don't blame you. Do you back up all your settings with the remote wizard? Might help make it more bearable the next time you have to replace a Hopper.

10. Antigreek

Antigreek Cool Member

Feb 7, 2008
    Is Remote Wizard used to help setup & control other devices around the entertainment center like a stereo receiver etc? Yes I've used it and it quite handy. My big problem is manually entering ALL of the timers (20+) on the correct channels, setting up Preferences like "how does the Guide scroll" and "size & color" of the pointer etc. Just lots of little things that take a bit of time. Especially setting up a Favorite Channel List! Its can be a bit time-consuming...

11. charlesrshell

charlesrshell AllStar

Feb 24, 2008
    O'Fallon,...
    I have only used the restore twice for receivers that I had to send back to Dish. I am not sure about all the settings things if it restored them or not. I keep close to the 96 timer limit all the time. So, I am a happy camper if the timers restore and the correct priority, etc. It has done a pretty good job of that. All those other things are minor to me. I just switched over to the Hopper System so I guess I better get some back ups done before it's too late. LOL

12. Antigreek

Antigreek Cool Member

Feb 7, 2008
    I guess I wasn't aware that Dish had a restore process for timers. Can you elaborate on where in the menus its located and any other tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

13. charlesrshell

charlesrshell AllStar

Feb 24, 2008
    O'Fallon,...
    Menu, Settings, Diagnostics, System Wizard. I got up close to the Hopper with the remote and selected Backup. Not sure if getting up close is necessary but it was with the 722s. Scroll bar started and it was complete in just a couple of seconds. When it was complete it said Backing up Receiver Success and Backing up Remote Success. I did all four Hoppers this way. Not sure if Joey needs the same procedure. I will check later on when I have a chance.

14. Antigreek

Antigreek Cool Member

Feb 7, 2008
    Wow thats great info and I could've used that recently. Thank you! Is this something you had to find on your own? Wouldn't it have been great is a Dish rep told me over the phone: "Before you disconnect your old Hopper and lose all your timers, go to Menu, Settings, Diagnostics, System Wizard?

Nahhh, thats just too much to ask of them. (sarcasm of course).

Thanks again for the info. I like to dig into the menus and options but I guess I missed the wizard.

15. charlesrshell

charlesrshell AllStar

Feb 24, 2008
    O'Fallon,...
    Welcome, I hope it works for you. It did for me with the 722s. I am brand new to the Hopper world.

16. Antigreek

Antigreek Cool Member

Feb 7, 2008
    Well now my Hopper w/Sling isn't recognizing my external HDD when I begin to transfer shows & movies...so...in addition to the modem not hanging up I decided to call Dish. My 4th Hopper in 8 months is on its way. Joy.

17. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    you had bad karma or using the H in unusual conditions

18. charlesrshell

charlesrshell AllStar

Feb 24, 2008
    O'Fallon,...
    What are your temps running? You sure are going thru bunches of Hoppers.

19. LtMunst

LtMunst Hall Of Fame

Aug 24, 2005
    Maybe the house power is dirty/spiky, frying the Hoppers. OP should try a good power conditioner/UPS.

20. Antigreek

Antigreek Cool Member

Feb 7, 2008
    Well my first Hopper in May was having difficulties detecting my external HDD which seemed to be somewhat common. I figured that since I had to pay Dish a $50 fee to use an external HDD, it should work. So they sent me another Hopper. Only this one was a refurb unit that had a myriad of problems so I called Dish.

Dish was kind enough to upgrade me to the Hopper w/Sling and my problems with it are listed above. Funny thing is, when I called Dish 2 days ago to tell them about my current problems, their answer was to just send me a new one. I told the person on the phone at the beginning, "This is what I've done to troubleshoot/correct the problems so let me list them off to you so we're not wasting each other's time"

That included:

Pressing and holding the Power button
    Pressing and holding the Reset button
    Unplugging the Hopper for 30+ seconds
    Unplugging my external HDD
    Swapping out a new USB cable on my HDD
    Trying one of the other 2 available USB ports for my HDD
    Swapping out a new phone line
    Changing the phone filters
    Jumping up and down on the Hopper w/Sling

Ok, well I didn't do that last one but I was close. The Dish rep told me that she'd never heard of someone going thru so many steps and she didn't have anything else for me to try. I don't know if thats good or bad but my new H w/S will be here tomorrow...