Hopper3 not switching via HDMI-CEC

Discussion in 'Hopper System Support Forum' started by Chuck Coulson, Apr 4, 2021.

Tags:
  1. Apr 4, 2021 #1 of 10
    Chuck Coulson

Chuck Coulson New Member

Apr 4, 2021
    Hi. I have a pretty simple set-up - a Toshiba TV with a Hopper3 in HDMI port 1 and an AppleTV in HDMI port 2. The AppleTV does a great job controlling the TV via CEC - turns the TV on, switches to the correct HDMI port. But, I can't get the Hopper or my 54.0 remote to switch back. To switch back on the 54.0 remote, I have to press the TV button, then the Input button to get to the right input, then press the Sat button. I do have CEC enabled in the Hopper settings. Suggestions?

2. Apr 5, 2021 #2 of 10
    P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    E.Mdtrn Sea
    you have only one CEC port on the TV ?

3. Apr 5, 2021 #3 of 10
    harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    It would probably help to know what the model number is of TV in play. Toshiba hasn't built their own TVs for six years now but the brand name is available under license from at least one Chinese manufacturer (most recently Hisense).

My guess is that you don't have CEC enabled on the Hopper 3 but it could certainly be some oddness in the TV.

4. Apr 5, 2021 #4 of 10
    Chuck Coulson

Chuck Coulson New Member

Apr 4, 2021
    Thanks @harsh. The TV is a Toshiba 39L22U which is supposed to be CEC compliant. CEC is enabled on the Hopper.

5. Apr 5, 2021 #5 of 10
    P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    E.Mdtrn Sea
    on ALL HDMI ports ?

6. Apr 5, 2021 #6 of 10
    Chuck Coulson

Chuck Coulson New Member

Apr 4, 2021
    Yes. The HDMI-CEC logo appears for both ports which indicates the TV is detecting CEC compliant signals.

7. Apr 5, 2021 #7 of 10
    WestDC

WestDC Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Feb 9, 2008
    on the TV --have tried tried turning cec off and back on?

8. Apr 5, 2021 #8 of 10
    harsh

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    This is a relative old-timer. There's a warning in the manual (page 29) that if there are "several" (it only supports two) HDMI devices connected, CEC may not work as it should. I'm not sure whether that's the TV proper or getting CEC from an AVR.

To P Smith's point, have you tried swapping inputs and/or cables?

I suspect that both the Apple TV and the Hopper 3 HDMI outputs are always active and that can be a problem.

9. Apr 5, 2021 #9 of 10
    Chuck Coulson

Chuck Coulson New Member

Apr 4, 2021
    Yep. Tried swapping ports, swapping cables. I suspect the fact that both the AppleTV and Dish Hopper are both "always on" devices may be part of the problem but that doesn't explain why the AppleTV CEC functionality works properly but not the Hopper. Other than the "SAT" button on the remote, what other Hopper commands should send a CEC signal? The docy=umentation says the Power button, but that is programmed to turn the TV on/off.

10. harsh

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    I use a 20.0 remote for my HWS and it has a dedicated Hopper power button. It is very slow to react but it eventually gets everything right. The select button should wake up the Hopper on any remote.

The Hopper seems to want an HDMI handshake before it will really get going so the delay may be upwards of 15 seconds while my AVR and Hopper negotiate with the TV. If I use the TV remote, the TV insists that the HWS isn't waking up but it comes on and is fumbling with its HDMI handshake.