HopperGo come late ?

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by P Smith, May 26, 2016.

1. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
  2. lparsons21

lparsons21 Hall Of Fame

Mar 4, 2006
    Herrin, IL
  3. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    DISH's Pocket-Sized HopperGO Lets Customers Take DVR on the Road

* Now available to customers for $99; not subject to any monthly fees
    * 64 GB mobile video drive takes 100 hours of DVR recordings on the go
    * Creates its own private wireless cloud to support up to five tablets and smartphones via DISH Anywhere app; no Internet connection required

ENGLEWOOD, Colo.--(BUSINESS WIRE)-- DISH's HopperGO, a revolutionary new personal mobile video drive, today debuted to customers nationwide for $99. The 64 GB, rechargeable battery-powered device gives customers the ability to securely transfer up to 100 hours of recorded TV shows and movies from a Hopper 3 or Hopper 2 DVR for on-the-go, offline viewing.

DISH's HopperGO is a revolutionary personal mobile video drive available to customers nationwide for $99.

"HopperGO is the perfect summer travel companion for nearly anyone, whether you're road tripping, at the airport or lounging on a beach," said Vivek Khemka, DISH Executive Vice President and Chief Technology Officer. "It manages the burden of storage, so forget about deleting apps or pictures to free up space on your phone or tablet for video."

HopperGO creates its own private wireless cloud that supports simultaneous viewing of different programs on up to five mobile devices via the DISH Anywhere app. It is compatible with iOS and Android smartphones and tablets, as well as Kindle tablets. Capable of up to four hours of streaming on a single charge, HopperGO can additionally be used while charging.

DISH customers can purchase a HopperGO by calling 1-800-333-DISH or visiting their nearest retailer.

http://investor.echostar.com/releasedetail.cfm?ReleaseID=973007

4. n0qcu

n0qcu Legend/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Mar 23, 2002
    But most consumers are idiots and buy their phones/tablets with minimum memory instead of maximum so they don't have room on the device for much video.

1 person likes this.
  5. mrdobolina

mrdobolina AllStar

Aug 28, 2006
    A Mile High
    Can you only stream from the HopperGo? Or can you carry it with you and download to your device on the go as well? If you can only stream from it, would you be allowed to use it on an airplane?

6. iamrhye23

iamrhye23 New Member

May 23, 2016
    florida
  7. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    IMO, it's like any other multimedia Android box with a lot [as usual] of dish restrictions

8. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    Can you take anything from your DVR with you on this device? I'm specifically interested in NHL Center Ice recordings. With DIRECTV's GenieGo, shows recorded on Center Ice channels could not be viewed via GenieGo devices. Any other restrictions on what can't be viewed on this device that is on your DVR?

Also, if I've read this correctly, while this can be used with up to 5 devices, they have to be in range of this device to operate? So if I take a business trip and my family is traveling, we both can't be watching shows? My daughter was in college and would sometimes take transcoded shows back with her on her tablet. And then when DIRECTV's OOH was activated on the GenieGo, she could stream whatever we had on our DVRs. This device doesn't look like you can use it in multiple locations.

9. patmurphey

patmurphey Godfather

Dec 21, 2006
    Geez! No one is requiring you to buy one. It is a specific product for a specific need. Get over it...

10. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    And I'm trying to find out if this meets my specific needs.

So far, it doesn't appear too.

But thanks for your input patmurphey.

11. patmurphey

patmurphey Godfather

Dec 21, 2006
    The specs are pretty clear in James Long's post. My comments were directed to those badmouthing it.

12. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    The specs and First Look was pretty clear with the original nomad (now GenieGo). There was a list of shows you couldn't watch (OTA, PPV, 3D, and Adult channels). No one mentioned that Hockey CI couldn't be watched and it took almost two hockey seasons before Case Management could even figure out why.

So before I get ramped up about a device, I'm going to try to get all the details. And I'm certainly not bad mouthing this new device. Just trying to confirm what it can and can not do. Because I do have a specific need.

13. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    It is a local device. It is not intended for customers to load it up with shows and watch from two different locations (unless both are within Wi-Fi range of the device). It is intended for load and *GO* use so you do not have to rely on having a network to watch your DVR recordings while away.

DISH has other solutions for network viewing of content directly from the DVR. This is for those times where one does not want to burn up bandwidth (both at home and wherever you are) to watch something you recorded.

14. dmspen

dmspen Hall Of Fame

Dec 1, 2006
    Los Gatos,...
    The description says 'transfer' recordings. Is it really a transfer, or can you copy? If I 'transfer' a program to the GO, does this mean someone at home no longer can access it?

15. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    I don't think the marketing team knows the difference.

Sent from my iPhone 6s using Tapatalk

16. 4HiMarks

4HiMarks Hall Of Fame

Jan 21, 2004
    Laurel, MD
    So does anyone have one yet? I just ordered one for a trip we are taking in July. Wondering how it performs.

17. bmetelsky

bmetelsky Cool Member

Feb 28, 2009
    Some are transfers, which means it will not leave a copy on the Hopper. Some are copied. It depends on the arrangements that DISH has with various carriers. I am reading in another forum that folks are happy that there are more copied than transferred.

18. bmetelsky

bmetelsky Cool Member

Feb 28, 2009
    There are a few threads on another forum (Satellite Guys) from folks that have purchased one.

19. 4HiMarks

4HiMarks Hall Of Fame

Jan 21, 2004
    Laurel, MD
    I received mine yesterday. There was a ferocious thunderstorm that knocked our power out for a while so I didn't want to risk hooking it up in case there was another one. My first impression is that it is much smaller than I expected, only slightly larger than a matchbook.

20. fudpucker

fudpucker Godfather

Jul 23, 2007
    NW Iowa
    Any chance you can direct the output to a Chromecast?