Only about 30% of their workforce was union. The union members who went on strike chose to further damage the company and cripple it. They didn't care about the jobs and families of the other 70%. Those employees who belonged to the union that refused to negotiate deserved to lose their jobs. As did the teachers in Chicago earlier this year.