1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hotel HDTV

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by AntAltMike, Aug 15, 2013.

1. AntAltMike

AntAltMike Hall Of Fame

Nov 20, 2004
    College...
    I'm going to be outfitting a 10 floor hotel with an HDTV system. They have a Com 1000 at present, but that contract is expiring at the end of this year and will not be renewed, and so I can either give them a similar system with a few more channels, or I can give them something else, if there is a something else.

I did a lot of commercial work a decade ago and I even got a Level 3 certification back before they thought to issue installer numbers (1998, I think) but because I now only get involved with hotel systems once or twice a year, I don't bother to digest all the new product literature.

Their biggest constraint is that they use loop riser wiring, which limits what signals I can deliver to each room in two ways: it can't support so-called "legacy" multiswitches, and it has too many receivers per riser wire to be serviced by SWM, even if I upgraded the taps (are there now approved SWM directional couplers?) and if I could manage the signal power over those lengths. This hotel is not going to home run wire in a manner that would support DRE or any other conventional L-band distribution.

A year ago, there were rumors that DirecTV was going to develop something like the SWM but that used the cable TV band. Did anything ever come of that? I remember thinking at the time, that if they made a cable-band SWM and if they staggered the return signal frequency just a little so that it would not be incompatible with the current SWM return signal, then maybe they could be combined into a single riser wire that has a few more than eight drops on it, by putting the L-band equipment on the nearest few drops. I've serviced dozens of ten story hotels that would benefit from such a system. But if such a product existed, I think I would have heard of it by now.

I'd say that for now, the most I can offer them for an upgrade is digital on the standard def channels. Last I knew, a few manufacturers were making clear QAM encoder/modulators that put the outputs of four A/V sources, like D12s, onto one cable channel. Is that still the state-of-the-art technology, or are there now any products that put more than four on one channel, or that bypass the needlessly cumbersome digital-to-analog-to-digital architecture of doing it that way?

2. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
  3. AntAltMike

AntAltMike Hall Of Fame

Nov 20, 2004
    College...
    DRE is a non-flyer because of the wiring situation. Someone just e-mailed me a little info on a Com200 that may be the state of the technology, but while I haven't begun to price it out yet, it seems like adding STD channels will cost more than half as much per channel as adding HDTV channels, which will probably be too expensive.

4. AntAltMike

AntAltMike Hall Of Fame

Nov 20, 2004
    College...
    I just found some info regarding the Com-24-FLX on the NACE site. NACE e-mails me lots of stuff that I don't read because there aren't enough hours in the day. As I am typing this, they just e-mailed me about something to send HDMI over fiber, which I do not have time to read either, but I digress.

http://www.northamericancable.com/specsheets/COM24-FLX.pdf

I see a warning that since the STD def programs are processed "natively" that the TVs must have MPEG4 tuners in them to display MPEG4 programming. That may be troublesome, as there are some early vintage LG TVs (LMT-7Z7 card equipped) at this hotel. Does anyone know if the popular DirecTV STD def "cable TV" programming is MPEG4? That would make it a deal buster for me.

In any case, where these tuners take half as much rack space, chassis space,and power supply and modulator utilization as HDTV channels, then they will have marginal costs of maybe 2/3s of what the average cost of HDTV channels. That doesn't sound like a very good deal.

5. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    DIRECTV offers an IP-based system, IPAdvantage, that may work for your purposes.

http://www.directv.com/cms2/commercial/mdu/E90193DTVbrochureP4.pdf

MFH3 required Gigabit Ethernet cabling but IPAdvantage uses HPNA (*NOT* MoCA) that can take advantage of phone wire or coax.

6. Supramom2000

Supramom2000 In Loving Memory of Onyx-2/23/09

Jun 20, 2007
    Colbert, WA
    Have you messaged Stuart Sweet? He is also heavily involved in Solid Signal, so he usually knows all the newest equipment and resources available. He is a veritable "fountain of information"!!

7. AntAltMike

AntAltMike Hall Of Fame

Nov 20, 2004
    College...
    I got some prices on the Com24-flex. If I "fully stuff" the chassis, it will support 36 DirecTV-based standard definition channels at a cost to me of a little under $300 per channel. Back when DirecTV was subsidizing the cost of the standard definition receivers, it was costing me just over half that per analog channel, but they stopped subsidizing them back in February, probably because they no longer want to encourage the deployment of inferior systems.

I would have to add to that maybe eight Pro:Idiom channels, and I'd use two of those eight channel ATSC transcoders for my off-air broadcast TV. I'm in a great market situation for off-air, and with 16 channels of broadcast television, I'd be able to include all four major networks from my secondary market, Baltimore, which means they'd get the benefit of different football games on Sunday and American League "game of the Week" choices on Saturdays. The Washington Fox station is inclined to choose games featuring Philadelphia, Atlanta and St Louis, whereas the Baltimore station favors the Red So and Yankees, as do most of the carpetbagger northeastern fans living here. Plus, the off-air subchannels can be grouped into a nice "nostalgia" package along with Nickelodean and TV Land. The thing is,m the last few headends I installed had about 60 DirecTV channels along with 40 off-air subchannels, and so I might still have to throw in another dozen analog standard definition channels. This is going to be a big pill for this customer to swallow.

8. harperhometheater

harperhometheater Legend

Aug 30, 2012
    I have a COM200 chassis with about 12 COM24 cards loaded in it from an old LodgeNet install, if anyone's interested in it? Please pm me with an offer.

Dave Harper
    ISF, CTS
    Director, Event Technology