Hour long commercial disguised as programming -- Great!

Discussion in 'TV Show Talk' started by jeret, Dec 2, 2014.

Tags:
  1. Dec 2, 2014 #1 of 17
    jeret

jeret Mentor

Apr 22, 2007
  2. Dec 2, 2014 #2 of 17
    harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    NBC just did something similar for Peter Pan Live!. I'm not sure it qualifies as a pure ad. I recall that there were similar programs backing up the live production of Sound of Music when it played.

If they include a documentary of a production on the DVD, do you necessarily consider it an ad to promote the DVD that you've already acquired?

3. Dec 2, 2014 #3 of 17
    inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    How's that much different than an HBO first look or access Hollywood etc????

4. Dec 2, 2014 #4 of 17
    sangs

sangs AllStar

Apr 2, 2008
    NE New Jersey
  5. Dec 2, 2014 #5 of 17
    dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    That's not really what they are meaning. It's not ads in a commercial break, it's things like shows that are a big ad, or how shows now put ad dialog inside of a show. As an example, when the Pawn Stars do their taxes or Skype. The worst was on Bones (which I stopped watching), and they'd talk about the car they were driving. I find those worse than the example in the article.

Not really a DirecTV or Dish issue though.

6. Dec 2, 2014 #6 of 17
    rotohead

rotohead Legend

Nov 28, 2007
    Reno, NV
    The DVR in any form is a major tool to weed out the unwanted (ads or any other garbage).

7. Dec 2, 2014 #7 of 17
    Scott Kocourek

Scott Kocourek Well-Known Member

Jun 13, 2009
    This has nothing to do with DIRECTV so I am moving it to the TV Show Talk Forum.

8. Dec 2, 2014 #8 of 17
    SeaBeagle

SeaBeagle Legend

May 7, 2006
    i did that for awhile and purchased me a ROKU unit. Now ROKU does have quite a bit of things to look at. But I became tired of pre recorded things. So I subscribed to satellite service again.

Sent from my iPad 4 128GB using DBSTalk mobile app

9. Dec 3, 2014 #9 of 17
    RunnerFL

RunnerFL Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2006
    This isn't a new tactic, it's been happening for years. I'm only surprised when people are surprised by it.

10. machavez00

machavez00 Hall Of Fame

Nov 2, 2006
    Phoenix,...
    Discovery/Velocity channel's "Birth of a" looks like one of these covert ad shows. I saw one on the Kia Optima and it struck me as and ad after a few minutes. There is also one on a BMW
    http://youtu.be/BqHsAs5UDRU

11. Jaspear

Jaspear Godfather

May 16, 2004
    Remember that deodorant that showed up in several episodes of "Eureka"? And on "Jane The Virgin", Jane somehow ends up shopping at Target in every episode!

Another new trick is to sell commercial time in the lower third graphics which heretofore, were used exclusively as promotion.

And I predict, next up they'll start selling off the logo bug real estate, just like sports teams did with stadiums. "Tonight on GEICO, don't miss.....".

12. say-what

say-what Active Member

Dec 14, 2006
    New Orleans
    Undercover Boss, self-promotion at its best

But there's always been promotional programming related to movie releases. There's even cross promotion programming related to television mini-series and movies like the Bonnie and Clyde stuff inserted into Pawn Stars and American Pickers most recently.

None of it's new or surprising and if done right, not offensive.

This Exodus related program actually sounds interesting.

13. RunnerFL

RunnerFL Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2006
    Cougar Town is constantly shopping at and talking about Target. The cast also do Target commercials that lead into the show.

14. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    Even if you don't have a DVR, there is this thing called a "remote" that lets you switch channels. And there are really a lot of entertainment option out there. You don't have to watch an hour long commercial.

1 person likes this.
  15. 4HiMarks

4HiMarks Hall Of Fame

Jan 21, 2004
    Laurel, MD
    Doesn't this practice date all the way back to the "Golden Age of Television" when an hour-long variety show was basically just a commercial for the sponsor?

16. trainman

trainman Hall Of Fame

Jan 9, 2008
    Sherman...
    Yes.

However, in those days, that sponsored hour-long variety show would only include about 4 or 5 minutes of commercials for the sponsor, and that would be it for advertising breaks.

I strongly suspect this modern-day "hour-long commercial" will really only be 41 or 42 minutes long, with 18 or 19 minutes of commercial spots for various other products, same as most hour-long shows on commercial television these days.

17. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    They've always done it in movies. Well, maybe not always, but it's been going on for a long time as the Runner said. It just migrated from films to TV shows. Ever notice how many cars have their emblems removed on TV shows?

Rich