1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

House Being Painted so Temporarily Want to Move Hopper to Another Room

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by Michael - AZ, Sep 13, 2018.

1. Michael - AZ

Michael - AZ New Member

Nov 28, 2007
    I just posted this message on the High Definition Forum, but thought I would try DBS also.

Hi everyone,
    I just got off the phone with a DISH CSR. We're having our house painted inside, and I will have to disconnect my audio equipment (including the Hopper) because that area will be painted. My question to the CSR was "can I disconnect my Hopper and reconnect it in another room where a Joey is currently connected". Her answer didn't make any sense to me. She said that I would have to have a technician come out to the house and do that work to ensure that it would be done properly. I told her that I didn't understand why that would be necessary.

Can anyone tell me why I cannot disconnect the Hopper in one room, take it to another room (while our house is being painted), connect it to the broadband cable, and just plug in the Hopper. After the painting is completed, I would just reverse the process and put the Hopper back to where it is right now. Am I missing something? I told here that I didn't want a technician to come out, and if that was the only solution, I would just go 4 days with TV.

Thanks for any responses that would help explain her answer.

Michael

2. scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Kansas City KS
    I can explain this one.

If you can see the node from the dish, you will see that the Hopper is on one that is labeled "Host". Your Joeys are on one labeled "Clients". If you have more than one Joey, more than likely that Client on the node is connected to a splitter, with each end of the splitter going to a different Joey. Any unused outputs on the splitter need to have a terminator on them.

If you can follow my description, it should be obvious that you can't simply move the Hopper to replace a Joey.

What you (as the customer) COULD do without a tech visit is to take an RG6 cable from the wall jack for the Hopper and run it into another room and connect the Hopper to that, then put the original cable back when you put the Hopper back in it's original location. Make sure the cable you use is rated for 3 GHz. Finding 3 GHz RG6 may not be something you can find at Lowes Depot (as well as the connectors).

3. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    well, Home Depot selling the 3GHz RG6, type of F-connector is not that critical and could be same as before, but compression type is preferable
    I would got to Fry's for the cable, F-connectors and compression tool ..

Last edited: Sep 16, 2018
  4. Michael - AZ

Michael - AZ New Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Thanks for the explanations. Gives me a couple of days to think about my strategy. I understand the reason why I can't do what I was originally thinking.
    Thanks again.
    Michael