1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

House lawmakers introduce bills legalizing, taxing pot

Discussion in 'The OT' started by cj9788, Feb 6, 2013.

1. Feb 6, 2013 #1 of 14
    cj9788

cj9788 Hall Of Fame

May 14, 2003
    http://washingtonexaminer.com/house-lawmakers-introduce-bills-legalizing-taxing-pot/article/2520612

2. Feb 6, 2013 #2 of 14
    dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    This won't even get out of committee.

3. Feb 6, 2013 #3 of 14
    sigma1914

sigma1914 Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    Excellent idea, IMO.

4. Feb 6, 2013 #4 of 14
    boukengreen

boukengreen Legend

Sep 22, 2009
    good idea but like the above said won't get out of committee

5. Feb 6, 2013 #5 of 14
    4HiMarks

4HiMarks Hall Of Fame

Jan 21, 2004
    Laurel, MD
    They need an amendment that also taxes Doritos...

6. Feb 6, 2013 #6 of 14
    jerrylove56

jerrylove56 Godfather

Jun 14, 2008
    North Alabama
    :lol::lol:

7. Feb 6, 2013 #7 of 14
    jerrylove56

jerrylove56 Godfather

Jun 14, 2008
    North Alabama
    Just a matter of time before the govt. figures out how to get the tax dollars out it. Would not be surprised if govt. doesn't use the tobacco model. License growers, like they do in Colo. and place a huge tax on the purchase. Yes you could grow your own, but how many people do you know who grow and use their own tobacco.

Though I don’t use or encourage its use, marijuana has fewer health issues than alcohol. (Many stereotypes and mistruths are still being pushed to the public regarding marijuana.)

8. Feb 6, 2013 #8 of 14
    dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    Tennessee used to tax illegal drugs, until it was declared unconstitutional.

9. Feb 6, 2013 #9 of 14
    longrider

longrider Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Apr 21, 2007
    Elizabeth, CO
    It might not pass this year but I think we have reached the tipping point of public acceptance and it will happen maybe within 5 years. As others have stated I put it in the same category as alcohol and should be regulated the same way. Prohibition has worked as well as prohibition of alcohol did 90 years ago so we need to just accept it. Not only does it have less health costs than alcohol it has less social costs. Drunks get in fights, when was the last time a pothead got in a fight?

10. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    What were they smoking to put forth this proposal?

Oh, yeah. Nevermind. :grin:

11. cj9788

cj9788 Hall Of Fame

May 14, 2003
    Funny thing is that drug dealers,smugglers,growers ect are expected to pay federal income taxes on any income from those illegal activities. In fact some big time dealers actually do file income taxes so they will not get hit with tax evasion if they are ever busted. I have seen the tax returns when I worked at the IRS. They could not take any business deductions at all because it was illegal income, yet on two different returns we allowed the earned income tax credit because it was determined the money although illegally obtained was considered "earned income" and qualified for the credit. this is where the federal hypocrisy comes into play, the IRS knows where and who these dealers are but is prevented by federal law from disclosing that information to any other agency state or federal. The IRS fights tooth and nail every subpoena for information to protect taxpayer privacy and has flat out refused to turn over information even when ordered to.

12. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    That's an understatement. I sat in many meetings before we implemented random testing and listened to many absolutely ridiculous statements and "facts" about it. All they proved was that alcohol is the "Gateway Drug". When someone finally brought that up, they were quickly silenced.

Yet another unwanted industry shoved down our throats.

One thing I gleaned from all those CYA meetings was a drunk (I was a drunk, once) could start drinking on Friday and drink all weekend, cause all kinds of problems, beat hell out of the kids and wife and come in relatively sober on Monday and nobody would care. We all know this happens. Aw, what's the use?

Rich

13. Drucifer

Drucifer Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2009
    NY Hudson...
    Most governments of the world, sooner or later, will come to realize that criminalization only selected methods on how humans get high is a waste of time and money.

And it already been proven that banning all intoxicants is even a greater waste of time and money.

14. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Same with prostitution. Should be legalized and regulated, I think.

All the War on Drugs seems to have done is make our penal system larger. All that money wasted on a "war" that just doesn't work.

Rich